Auto Rims On Trailer

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
Since I'm replacing all 4 tires and possibly rims, I was wondering if auto rims would be safe? If I see a set that I like from a truck jeep or the like, I'll replace the rubber with trailer tires.

Are auto rims ok to use?

I saw these...
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/pts/886868543.html

Perfect! after tire replacement. What do you guys think?

mthieme

Captain
Re: Auto Rims On Trailer

Oh no. Here we go again.
It has been my personal experience that this is safe.
I have one single axle trailer with a 19' boat on it that has a pair of Chevy rims.
I have also seen many of the high dollar speed boats on nice trailers with aluminum rims...never seen one on the side of the road...it's always a cheap trailer with a bearing issue, go figure.

lmannyr

Cool. As long as I have trailer tires I should be ok then.

Sweet.

mthieme

Captain

Yup.
Make sure the rubber can handle the load.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if the tires arre nice ask the tire store about trading them in for a discount on the trailer tires or put them on ebay or criegs list

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That depends on which auto rims you intend to use. Be aware that auto rims have either positive offset or negative offset. Boat trailer wheels have zero offset meaning the centerline of the rim is exactly in the center of the tire tread. This is ideal for load handling which is why trailer manufactures use that style of wheel. It places the full load directly between the two wheel bearings. Yes -- many manufacturers use after market wheels. Rear wheel drive cars have the hub offset toward the inside of the wheel while front wheel drive cars have the hub offset to the outside of the wheel. Since rear wheel drive wheels will space the tire itself (and the load) more to the outside, you may run into tire/fender interference so make sure there is plenty of clearance. Is it safe? Sure, but that would again depend on how close the GVW is to the GVWR. Since the wheel offset essentially spaces the load closer to the end of the spindle, there is more leverage so axle capacity would be decreased but someone with more time than me would need to calculate what that value is. It also places more load on the inner wheel bearing. I also think if you look at the aftermarket wheels the trailer manufacturers use you will find they have very close to zero offset so they are actually trailer wheels. All of this is moot of course if the total load is far less than the trailer capacity. It might be an issue if you have a 6000# trailer and you all up weight is 5900#

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That depends on which auto rims you intend to use. Be aware that auto rims have either positive offset or negative offset. Boat trailer wheels have zero offset meaning the centerline of the rim is exactly in the center of the tire tread. This is ideal for load handling which is why trailer manufactures use that style of wheel. It places the full load directly between the two wheel bearings. Yes -- many manufacturers use after market wheels. Rear wheel drive cars have the hub offset toward the inside of the wheel while front wheel drive cars have the hub offset to the outside of the wheel. Since rear wheel drive wheels will space the tire itself (and the load) more to the outside, you may run into tire/fender interference so make sure there is plenty of clearance. Is it safe? Sure, but that would again depend on how close the GVW is to the GVWR. Since the wheel offset essentially spaces the load closer to the end of the spindle, there is more leverage so axle capacity would be decreased but someone with more time than me would need to calculate what that value is. It also places more load on the inner wheel bearing. I also think if you look at the aftermarket wheels the trailer manufacturers use you will find they have very close to zero offset so they are actually trailer wheels. All of this is moot of course if the total load is far less than the trailer capacity. It might be an issue if you have a 6000# trailer and you all up weight is 5900#

the Jeep wheels that he is looking at are more centered while still offset to the outside they are closer to the center than most

Flash Gordan

Cadet

I thought that whatever rim and tire you had on your trailer didn't matter as long as you have good bearings to hold the hub in place and good tires that would handle the load. Is this incorrect or am I asking for trouble when I decide to change out the rims on my trailer? Sorry for the threadjacking but my question is relavant to the topic at hand.

lmannyr

Use TRAILER tires for your TRAILER and AUTO tires for your AUTO. What ever rim that fits will be fine. It is recomended to use rims with a 0 offset of very clost to it.

Chris Hays

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes you can use auto rims on a trailer, BUT!!, there are a few things to be careful of. Firstly the offset/backspacing measurements must be checked so the wheel is under the fender correctly and will not interfere at full suspension travel, also that the tyre is not too wide as you could chip the boats gelcoat with rocks being thrown from the tires. Another thing i found is that you 'MUST' make sure the nuts fit both the threads of the stud, 'AND' the shoulder angle of the rim to be used. I have Ford Explorer alloy rims on mine and it took a lot of searching to find the correct nuts, i eventually took a Ford nut and an old trailer nut to an auto parts store and got them to find me the right one. I think this is the most important, (and overlooked), factor to remember when selecting wheels. Check out how mine looks here >>>>>>>
>>>>http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=281550

lmannyr

sweet! How wide are those explore rims?

Chris Hays

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The Explorer rims are 8" wide and im running 225/70R15 tires on them for fender clearance. Makes the boat trailer very stable while towing and also reduces weight....................and it looks cool!;)