Questions regarding pulling the Outdrive

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 Merc with an Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive that has ~130 hrs on it. (I've had it for 2 seasons) I pulled the outdrive for the first time as I was winterizing and had a few questions:

1) From reading the forum, it sound like it is common to pull your outdrive. Is it necessary to replace all gaskets/o-rings every time you pull it (every season)?
2) When you pull the drive, how do you grease the u-joints? I didn't see any grease fittings on the u-joints?

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Questions regarding pulling the Outdrive

1) From reading the forum, it sound like it is common to pull your outdrive. Is it necessary to replace all gaskets/o-rings every time you pull it (every season)?

It's an absolute MUST, unless you want water where it shouldn't be. The gasket kits for the job is only 8 bucks or less.

2) When you pull the drive, how do you grease the u-joints? I didn't see any grease fittings on the u-joints?
Some have plugs that can be removed and zirks installed, some don't have anything and are not greaseable.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don.

I have seen u-joints with fitting, but didn't see any on these. Just wanted to be sure.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

These uni-joints have a special grease in them, costs like $500/lb... Don't try to put grease in them. It's made in Germany... and I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Chris........