Oil change

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class
how much does everybody pay to have the oil changed and drive serviced

mthieme

Captain
Re: Oil change

I do my own, dad pays about $40 for an oil change.

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called here in town and they want 200+ for oil and gear service. I thought that was a little high but this guy is basicly the only boat shop in town that is worth anything. I will pay it for the 20 hour service, but I think that is about it. My dad got a oil pump for a birthday that has been collecting dust for 10 years. I think he opened the box and that was about it. I think I will change my own oil.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't need a 20 hour service. It's not requiered by Mercruiser or Volvo. It is a good idea to change the oil and gear lube just to make sure all the NEW stuff is working, and to go thru a 20 hour check list just to make sure all is ok. But, it is not requiered to be done by a dealer, or even requiered to be done for warranty. Only your own piece of mind with your boat. So do it yourself and save a bundle, and all the stuff you by now will be used yearly in servicing your new boat.

Don S

Consider getting an oil drain hose.

Actually, if he has a Mercruiser, he has one. But he failed to mention what engine and drive he has, and Reinell does NOT make engines and drives. They just install them.

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry it is a VP 5.0GL SX. That drain plug is a good idea, I noticed on the bottom of the engine there is a brass plug looks like it is attached to the oil pan. Is this what I would connect the line to.

Don S

That brass block under the pan is what the dipstick tube is attached to. All you have to do is run the engine to warm up the oil. Attach an oil pump to the dipstick tube and suck the oil out. No hose requiered.

Here is a copy and paste from page 101 of your owners manual.

1. Run the engine at idle speed to warm the crankcase
oil (for easier removal).
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Remove oil dipstick. Using the special fitting provided
on the tube, drain the oil from the crankcase
through the dipstick tube. This special fitting
is provided so that the oil does not have to be
drained into the bilge.
4. Withdraw oil with a suction pump.
You may purchase either a manual or an electric
suction pump from any marine supply store or
from your Volvo Penta dealer.
5. Dispose of used oil according to any applicable
federal, state, and local environmental regulations.
6. Replace the oil filter.
7. Remove the oil fill cap and fill the crankcase to
the specified capacity with Volvo Penta premium
engine oil.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

yep getting the oil out is easy.... the only part that can be a PITA is the filter.... but it all depends on the boat. some are not bad to get to.... other are a pain. if yours is a pain and you plan on keeping the boat.... have a look at oil filter relocation kits.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Jason on the filter, that is the only thing that can be a pain about this job, check your access first, sometimes there is so little room in there, the only wrench you can get on it is the cap style wrench, so if you get the filter, go to an auto parts store and buy a cap style wrench to fit that filter. As far as the drive service, what are they doing? just changing the gear oil, or R+Ring the drive in addition to changing the oil? I do my own, materials are about $20 for 2 qts of gear oil, $15 or so for motor oil, $ 5 or so for an oil filter, sometimes less. I use Chevron Delo 400 straight 30 in the motor, Merc Hi Perf gear lube in the Cobra.

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at the motor, the dipstick has a screw attachment I am assuming this is threaded for the oil removal. The filter is right on the top of the engine mounted to the manifold. Should be easy to get to. Does the pick up tube get all of the oil out or is there some still left in the pan normaly?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

it will get more than 90% of the oil out. Just make sure you warm it up before you change it to thin out the oil

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info, I will get a pump.

Don S

The dip stick tube hooks into the drain plug hole in the oil pan. You will get as much oil out as if you took the plug out of the pan of a car engine.
What is the Volvo SN of your engine?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I was curious about how much of the oil was removed by the dipstick tube. So one day I pulled all the oil out though the tube, then I removed the sump plug.... Not a drop!!! I was impressed. I haven't pulled a sump plug since!

Chris.........

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is good to know I had been wondering about the oil in the bottom of the pan.

blues

Seaman

boat shop here,.
100 hour service,. which is
change outdrive oil, engine oil, and fuel filter,. that appears to be all that is done,. 350 mag mpi
at a price of 450$

so, I now change my own,. drive oil and engine oil, using pumps,.
is very easy to do,.
as for the fuel filter,. it s a metalic tube,. fuel injected type,. have not changed it yet,. but,. looks very simple,.will do soon,.

when it appears time for a tune up,. then I shall take it in,.
as there may be some shift adjustments, which I have not attempted as of yet,.
I do 200 hours a year,.
maybe I can get by with just a spark plug change if all runs well>?
which I can do,.
there may some sort of srevice for the spark arrestor,.?
I have no manual,.

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

$450 seems a little pricy for the oil change and basic service. I guess it would be worth it to buy the pump. You only need to pump the oil from the engine, right. The drive oil comes out the bottom but you do need a pump to refill the drive oil, or so the manuel says.

blues

Seaman

at west marine, they have a pump that is made for this, it goes into a quart plastic bottle of high performance mercruiser gear lube,. get 2 quarts,.and the new gaskets that go onthe plugs that you remove from outdrive,. alpha 1,
drive,.
remove bottom plug, then top plug, let in drain, for awile,.then when it appears to be all empty,.
screw in the fitting on the hand pump,and pump til oil comes out of top plug,.
replace top plug.
undo pump fitting at bottom plug,. quickly reinstall bottom plug,.
then , as I have a outdrive lube reservoir on front of engine,. I top it off,. there
the bottom plug is magnetic,. to hold a metal particles,. and I did have a smidge of that,.
as for the engine I bought a suction pump,. pumped it about 20 times, then with tube down dip stick tube,. and oil warm, let it pull out the old oil, it appeard to gret most of it,.
oil cap is 5 qts,.
and after I changed the oil filter,and ran the motor then topped it,. it took 4 and half quarts,. so there is aliitle bit of the old oil inside somewhere,.