To Paint or Not to Paint

Jon D

Seaman Apprentice
Hello folks, i was curious if i should paint my boat over the winter.there is no bottom paint on boat (she is a 95) and I keep it in water most of the time. i have to pull it out every 3-4 weeks. But i was wondering what are pros to painting and what are the cons to painting. Bottom painting that is.

mthieme

Captain
Re: To Paint or Not to Paint

Pros - barnacles, discoloration
Cons - Value

I saw you're other post too, a lift is the way to go.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when barnacles are in season, they can attach in a 3 day period. then you have problems. that is when Bottom Paint pays for itself. pulling the boat once a month is a good idea just for a complete wash down, to keep scum off it.

TilliamWe

Banned

Hello folks, i was curious if i should paint my boat over the winter.there is no bottom paint on boat (she is a 95) and I keep it in water most of the time. i have to pull it out every 3-4 weeks. But i was wondering what are pros to painting and what are the cons to painting. Bottom painting that is.

Pros: you spend more time using your boat, not cleaning it
You don't damage the engine by "lugging" it with a fouled bottom
With a proper Epoxy barrier coat you eliminate any possibility of blisters
Your boat uses less fuel with a clean bottom

Cons: Appearance
Value, but only if your boat is really a trailerable boat that everyone else in your area always trailers.
(Like my 21' cuddy here in Illinois. Almost everyone else would trailer it, so if i painted the bottom, most people wouldn't like that. But if I owned a 34' Carver cruiser, Everyone keeps them in the water, so good & proper bottom paint would increase its value at selling time.)

mthieme

Captain

pulling the boat once a month is a good idea just for a complete wash down, to keep scum off it.

Wish I could a month.
Up here in the Chesapeake, the hull has a brown tinge in a matter of hours. Look at my poor 'Ray in the sig...I use brown bottom paint to help hide it!