elto 8hp year?

56 gull

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, New to the forum, watching for a while, great stuff! I'm looking at an 8 hp elto looks something like a late 40s early 50s johnson/evinrude. Is there somewhere to look for a site with model or serial numbers indicating its age?
Are they any good? Weak points strong points? Its an odd mauve sort of color.
Think I've caught the bug. 6 old british seagulls, a johnson '61 lightwin, '64 evinrude fisherman. Thanks in advance

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: elto 8hp year?

Why not give us the numbers? You could try at www.aomci.org.
First Eltos appeard around 1923. stands for "Evinrude Light Twin Outboard".
Elto name pops up many times through the years Elto in name only.Some built by Gale.I think usually sold in Canada.We had a 12 Elto that was the same as the the Gale 12S10 except for color.

56 gull

Seaman Apprentice

The model number is 5D10E, serial 8979. The owner says it has 5hp and 8hp @4000rpm on the throttle advance. Made in Peterborough, Canada.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

5D10B is a 51-54 5hp w clutch Gale number Is that a E or a B My guess is if its an E it stands for Elto.And I believe the Elto was sold in Canada.To the best I can tell there is no 8hp.

56 gull

Seaman Apprentice

So from previous threads I've looked at it appears that this would be similar to an early 50s omc? Would it be close enough to use some of the same parts? My guess after talking to the owner is that it could be 5D10E or 5D10B, sometimes people don't look too closely. If this is of Gale manufacture, what kind of reputation do they have? Thanks

freddyray21

Commander

Gale was a division of OMC which also made Evinrude and Johnson. Many parts will interchange very dependable.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

So from previous threads I've looked at it appears that this would be similar to an early 50s omc? Would it be close enough to use some of the same parts? My guess after talking to the owner is that it could be 5D10E or 5D10B, sometimes people don't look too closely. If this is of Gale manufacture, what kind of reputation do they have? Thanks

Great little motors.It shares ignition parts with E/J motors.May share some lower unit parts but I don't know which ones.Uses kind of an oddball carb but pretty simple.Someone will no doubt be along with more info.