Winter battery storage question

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I removed the battery from my boat for the winter (Northeast, so cold winters) and I have two questions.

1. Can I store it in the garage (unheated so it would be freezing temps) ..... better said, is there any advantage to storing it indoors - which I'd rather not do?

2. I do not use a constant trickle charger (long story, but a neighbor's house burned down from a short in a battery/charger system - likely totally different situation, but I need to sleep at night) but could charge it up a few times over the winter. Is this useful, or does only constant trickle charge do any good?

Thanks

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winter battery storage question

Keep it on a piece of wood or carpet because it will discharge on concrete. Charging it up once a month will work just fine.​

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Discharge of a battery sitting on concrete is an old, very old, issue that has been a non-issue for decades. That problem came about when batteries had wood or rubber cases. Modern batteries can be stored on concrete but if it makes you feel better, it won't hurt to place it on a board, table, bench or any other spot. The garage is fine. Top off the charge once a month or so and it will be fine. Yes -- battery maintainers are effective at prolonging battery life.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

1. Can I store it in the garage (unheated so it would be freezing temps) ..... better said, is there any advantage to storing it indoors - which I'd rather not do

properley charged battery wont freeze. top up charge every couple of months if batty is in good shape going in and you'll be in good shape.as stated if fully, charge no adavantage to store indoors

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Keep it on a piece of wood or carpet because it will discharge on concrete. Charging it up once a month will work just fine.​

Not tue. How is it suppose to discharge through the plastic casing? More of an issue is dirt on the top that would allow current to trickle between the posts.
If it is charged then storing it in a cool place is best. The cool slows the chemical reactions taking place in the battery. Charged a battery will not freeze until very cold temperatures.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, thanks. In the garage on a shelf anyhow, so I'll keep it there and top off the charge once a month or so.

Thanks as always.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I was in the old school mindset about this concrete storage stuff and did some research. My grandfather years ago told me this, and it is one of those things that stuck with me for years without question. (yea, he also hated EFI and all of those "computers", but that is how it goes.)

So I find out that the battery on concrete will not discharge it any quicker than normal, so that myth is dead. Like Silvertip stated, it was due to rubber cased batteries. About the only thing it could do is cool the battery quicker in the winter due to the cooler surface.

I did learn that the battery should be charged when it goes below 70% charge. Also, a battery will freeze at -19 F with a 40% charge, and -98 F when fully charged. In the garage should not be a problem at all. In fact, it will self discharge less when cooler.

Learn something new every day.​

Boatist

Rear Admiral

In cold temperatures it ok to charge every other month. In the cold chemical action slows down so does not have to be charged as often. In the hot summer should charge every month if not used. Clean the top off and charge it with a good automatic charger every other month and it will be good.

I sent several Winters is Montana and even at 30 below the battery never froze in my car in an open carport.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

Ya know,...Generally speaking,.. We boaters are pretty anal about somethings,....
Considering this thread is about Batteries,....
I'll start there....

Somebody explain to Me what a Battery Is,..??..??
To Me,...
A Battery is an electrical storage device,... Usually guaranteed for 3 to 5 years....

The Batteries that are in the various motor vechicles that are under My direct control are all treated the same,..
My Boat, My other Toys,+ The combined Fleet of equipment that I'm in charge of maintaining for a seasonal Blacktop Co.,... Dumptrucks, Dozers, Rollers, Pavers, Etc...
All of this "Stuff" can possibly be run everyday, for Months on end,..
Or,..
It can just be sitting, anytime of year, for Months on end.....

When it's time to Light 1 of these, If it doesn't start, it's Boosted...
When I test a Battery or group of Batteries, I'll find any that are Sub-par,.. They get pulled,+ Replaced...(Load Testers are Wonderful toys)

If you have to Charge a Battery to start your boat that's been sitting for a Month,....
You're milking a Dead Cow..... Replace it...

There's No Doubt in My mind, At All,...
That more Boaters smoke their Batteries from Over-Charging than kills all the other Dead Batteries combined....

Now,.... Let the War begin......... :D