no wot

lostinboat

Seaman
1983 90hp seahorse, was running great then had a no start. turned out to be a bad wirein the harness. since then to wot, will run smooth and nice to half throttle but once you try to go full throttle just boggs down. checked compression 1-90 2-100 3-100 4-95 any overhauled carbs,decarboned with seafoam. no change. any help???? thanks

lyncraft_mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: no wot

have you tested your spark on each cylinder? you can purchase a spark tester at your local automotive parts store at a reasonable price. if the spark checks out i would think it is starving for fuel or you may even have a bad fuel line, sucking air. have you tried to pump the primer bulb on the fuel line when it starts to loose power? next time you take it out bring a friend along and have them pump the primer bulb and see if the engine picks up RPMs, if it does i would suspect the fuel pump!

lostinboat

Seaman

have pump bulb and no change. have checked spark and found spark to all plugs. have noticed plugs 1 and 3 are wet and 2 and 4 are dry. am beginning to think my have bad power head gasket... any help or thoughts, thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check compression, when were the carbs last cleaned and rebuilt?

lostinboat

Seaman

carb's rebuilt 5 days ago. just rechecked commpression and #1 cyl is now only 70 psi.#2 cyl is 100psi ,#3 is 100 psi #4 is 105 psi. i am planning on taking it to the repair shop in the a.m. Will post finding. thanks for the help

lostinboat

Seaman

took boat to shop. finally after a couple hours found bad wire from power pack to #3 cyl coil. wire was shorting causing # 3 cyl to misfire and engine to lose power under load. engine now runs better than ever. many thanks to all who helped with this problem.
:)