1992 Johnson 120 hard starting

rotten ray

Recruit
Hi everyone, after being with out a computer for about 2 years I'm back! I have a 92 "looper" 120hp that is really difficult to start cold. It floods easily and when it does start it smokes like crazy. The manual says "do not lift the lever unless the engine is flooded" but my marinia people said to lift it when starting? I need the straight answers that my fellow forum people come up with. I have had the boat for 3 years and it has always been this way. The carbs have been overhauled by a professional and the compression is excellent. He checked out the entire system and indicated everything seemed normal. After it starts it runs really rough and smokes for a few minutes before smoothing out. After the initial hard start it starts fine the rest of the trip even if we are out for several days it will start right up the next morning. It seems it is only after it sits for 3 or more days that it does this. I searched the past posting for this but nothing with my year of motor could be found. I am thinking of unhooking the VRO system to see if this helps? Any help would be appriceated as to proper starting procedure and any ideas on why it does this. Thanks!:)

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1992 Johnson 120 hard starting

Have you done a 'Seafoam' treatment? Sometimes cleaning up the reeds and getting the carbon out of the combustion chamber makes the engine work better in the worst speed range. Two stroke engines depend greatly on inertia to move fuel and air at higher engine speeds so low speed is tough for them.

rotten ray

Recruit
Re: 1992 Johnson 120 hard starting

Thanks Randy for the reply, I did a "decarbonization" about 2 years ago but there have been alot of hours on it since then. If that was the cause wouldn't it be hard starting hot or cold? :confused: