Trailer Upgrade / Repair

mthieme

Captain
I have a little trailer for my 14' McKee. It's an EZ Loader. It need reinforcement. As you can see it's basically a box and tongue goes all the way astern acting as the keel. The problem is that the box is fairly flimsy and can be knocked out of square just by gently bumping a curb. Each corner of the box only has one bolt securing it. Pretty cheesy design.
I'm thinking of running some tubular galvanized thick walled fence post from the forward corners of the box on up about 4'-5' or so and connect them to the tongue. (Fence post is the only galvanized I have laying around).
This should do it. The trailer itself isn't much, but it's what I have at the moment.
Just wondering if anyone has any better ideas.
I'm thinking that some painted steel this far up shouldn't give me any problems for a while. I'm in brackish water and the trailer doesn't get used too much as the boat stays in most of the season.

Attachments

• EZ1.JPG
    EZ1.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ez2.JPG
    ez2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • ez3.JPG
    ez3.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ez4.JPG
    ez4.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trailer Upgrade / Repair

Ayuh,...

A couple of diagonals from the corners with marker lights, up to about the keel roller on the neape will certainly stiffen,+ help keep the frame square....

Just Mash the ends of the pipe with a BFH, drill it,+ bolt it together,.....