HELP! Please need quick help on yamaha f100

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer
Good afternoon i-boats,
I may be in a pickle. Firts off reasons for pickle is I have relatives coming into town tomorrow from about 200 miles away to ride on the Suwannee river.

So I decided to change plugs and do a couple of things to the motor just to be sure all was ok.
I changed the plugs and while I was at it I sprayed some sea foal into the cylinders figuring to clean them out so as to get the enginne running extra good. Did this put the new plugs in started and it smoked like the dickens (as it is supposed to) Smoke clears I let it idle for a few minutes then reved the engine just to be sure all carbon ect was out.
Now heres the issue. It idles perfectly smooth just like it always has, but when I rev it up it kinda caughs and spits a little bit, not normal. ALl else seems fine but this caugh cannot be good.
I do not know it it will level out in the water under power or if this is going to ruin the boat trip.
Please help the boat shop is closed today and I really do not want to dissappoint the relatives. Thanks in advance

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: HELP! Please need quick help on yamaha f100

You need the boat in the water and give it full throttle to be sure. when was the last time you used the boat? what fuel are are using?

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Boat was in the water last weekend. Ran like a champ
I am using 89 octane gasoline.
Do you think if I put it in the water and give it hell it will level out.
Or did I mess something up

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, i guessed that it has been recently running well: so we keep it simple, before you do that, remove all spark plugs, check gaps and clean, the foaming would have dislodged gunk and this is in the chamber. the F100 likes to be given a lot of WOT, it is good for it, this will blow out any crap in the motor.
Before start: Is the primer bulb firm to hard and maintaining firmness when you squeeze?
At Idle: Is the primer bulb firm not soft?
When the problem occurs, try squeezing the primer bulb, what happens?
Check all connectors from tank to filter to motor. Isolate any possible air leaks.
A cough is due to amongst other things, a lean (too much air to fuel mix running motor. Give it a run it may just need this to suck the crap out the jets.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

All right I will try all those tricks and see what it does. I will get back to you on it
Thanks yamajoe

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Yamajoe
How firm should the primer bulb be. It seems a bit soft, but not terribly so.
Also when I took the plugs out the #3 plug was very dirty and kind black I put some cleaner on it and reinstalled. #3 was like that when I changed out the old plugs too, for whateever thats worth. Still has the caugh squeezed hte bulb during operation and had no change.
I checked all fuel connections and am not finding anything amiss.
I am at a loss. Guess I am gonna button it all back up, and put it on the water in the morning and see what happens at WOT for a few minutes. It will either work out or it will be a really short trip.
If you have any other suggestions or info please let me know. THanks so much.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Yamajoe,

Thanks! I replaced the primer bulb got the boat out on the water and it ran perfectly. I am not sure if the new bulb helped but it certainly did not hurt.
Really I think that it just needed to be run kinda hard for a while. No cough no sputter nothing. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.
I love I boats.