I wrecked my '57 35hp E'rude

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
No I didn't wreck the boat or the motor while on the lake here's the story..... I got the boat about ready for lake test, so I went to run the motor yesterday because it hasn't been ran in a while (over 2 months maybe). I pulled and pulled this standard e'rude until I was slap wore out, I had it to fire a few times and run for a few seconds.

Well today I desided to put the electric start on it. I changed the flywheel out, mounted the electric starter and went to start the engine. The motor tuned over and even fired then I noticed the starter/flywheel was hanging up. Well I turned the flywheel by hand and it caught up on something underneath and wouldn't make a full spin. I decided to take the flywheel back off and found out that the one coil was broke off of the mount, both mounting bosses are broke, the coil most likely is screwed, the points on the one side are messed up also.

I'm trying to figure out what caught on the darn flywheel to cause all of this, everything was tight underneath.

Now I have a parts motor to take everthing off of but I have no clue on how to remove the spark advance base. Any input would be great. Thanks ahead of time. So long for taking the boat for a shake down test today :(, I'm not a happy camper, I have tools to pick up by the motor and I can't bring myself to go near that darn motor to pickup everything.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I wrecked my '57 35hp E'rude

the coil probably hit the magnet. if the base of the coil was not lined up the boss on the mount. to get the timing plate off, take all the screws in the middle of it out, should just lift off.

56 rude

Banned

quite easy to remove base assembly.the middle screws on the coils have to come out then look closely at the base and you will see 2 more screws to remove,presto its loose.you then have to undo a few other small parts and depending maybe a wire for killing the motor.hope this helps and hope you have better luck on the rebound.when putting back together you have to line up the 4 screw holes with the base ring.

freddyray21

Commander

you should be able to just swap out the stator plate, but if you did not change anything on the coils when you changed the flywheel then I would make darn sure the flywheel is the right one and tightened correctly. If it's the right flywheel and you did not change anything under it then it more than likely was loose and hit the coils.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for dropping by the thread guys. I got the timing plate swapped out, I took the one off of the '57 35hp Johnson I have, the same motor the flywheel came off of. Sort of disgusted with this whole situation. My father also helped me on the motor otherwise I wouldn't of tackled it anytime soon.

I had the motor running again, then it stalled out. I went to start it back and I had no fire, it sheard the key on the flywheel. I put another key in it and it sheard that one as well. I'm about ready to give up, been a heck of a day.

May I ask what would be causing the key to shear out?

freddyray21

Commander

pretty common if the flywheel is not torqued down right of if the wrong key is used. Need to be a hardened key the ones from the hardware store won't work. I think the ft lbs on that is 60-65 for the 57 35hp. Someone will chime in if I am wrong.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Flywheel and shaft tapers must be clean and dry and nut torqued to 60-65 ft/lbs. Ignoring that and allowing the key to shear will bugger up the keyways and tapers and it will be nearly impossible to hold a key in the future.

freddyray21

Commander

thanks Frank. I was going from memory and glad it is not shot.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

It must be the torque of the flywheel nut then, although those keys I used may have been the original ones out of those '57 model motors, it might of been there time to go :). Next time I'll make sure it is properly torqued. Thanks a bunch guys, maybe I will have a better day tomorrow if I can find the torque wrench and another key :eek:.