'77 115 shift linkage adjustment...

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a way to adjust how far I have to push the throttle forward before the motor goes into gear? When trying to go into forward I have to push the throttle down way too far, to the point where the motor begins gaining rpm's before the shift. When going into reverse I only have to pull the remote back about 1/4" before it goes into reverse.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I adjust it so that I don't have to push the throttle down so far to go into forward...and so that I can pull the throttle back farther before it goes into reverse.

Thanks,
Hunter

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '77 115 shift linkage adjustment...

cable adjustment at the motor. disconnect the shift cable, put motor in neutral, put control in neutral, now adjust the trunion nut on the cable, so that the cable end lines up with the motor connection. reconnect.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Adjust it as Tash said. That is the only adjustment. If that doesn't fix the issue you have a control box or cable issue. When you are doing this, make sure you don't have the cables reversed. When you move the throttle lever, the shift cable should move first -- then the throttle.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

very true, thanks Silvertip.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you very much guys. I'll give that a shot tonight!

Hunter

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That evened it out guys, thanks! One more question though. When going into gear (either forward or reverse) it will click several times before going into gear...like gears grinding or something. Is this the infamous worn clutch dog?

Thanks again,
Hunter