Camper Cruiser advice???

Maineman

Cadet
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and new to motorboats. I've always been aboard old sailboats, but it's time for a change. I've been reading old posts here, and am already grateful for what I've learned from all of you so far.
I need a small, very fuel-efficient motorboat for exploring the inside islands of Casco and Penobscot Bays here in Maine. I initially thought of a small work skiff that would carry two people and our camping gear. But I'm getting older and sleeping on the ground isn't as appealling as it used to be. So, I think we need a very small live-aboard.
I don't care about speed; my main priorities are relative sea-worthiness and fuel efficiency. A traditional look would also be appreciated. Something with the foredeck dropped parallel to the waterline allowing for a casting platform and anchor stowage and adding a small house extending back to a center console, and powered by nothing larger than a 25hp.
An Eastern-like downeaster was considered but, being originally workboats, they seem heavy and require more hp. The Redwing was considered--quiet, very gas-stingy, and roomy for its size--but I worried that the flat-bottom would be a challenge with any chop and would provide rough sleeping even in quiet coves. What other models should I consider?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Camper Cruiser advice???

I don't know if you have looked at C-Dory or not yet.

I think they sort of fit the description. They seem to be great little boats.

www.c-dory.com

cdory_19_thumb.jpg

ziggy

Admiral

I need a small, very fuel-efficient motorboat
my main priorities are relative sea-worthiness and fuel efficiency.
and powered by nothing larger than a 25hp.
i think your gonna have to narrow down your priority's. to me, what your describing is a aluminum fishing boat. fishing boats don't generally have a place to camp on.

i have an old boat that meets the criteria. but its got a i/o. though not a large one. pretty fuel efficient as boats go. but generally i wouldn't consider boats to be fuel efficient.... is this what ya wanna do with yer boat...

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

MissouriRiver09_16_07_32.jpg

ya could fish from the back which has much room, or from the bow. i put a folding chair up there to sit on. it's sea worthy. it's full cover. no head, but the folgers coffee can bailing bucket works well. this is the first year i've camped on my boat. but this boat lends itself well to the task at hand. for two people. myself. i think cover is most important. i've been rained on multiple times this summer along with getting caught in high winds. this boat has performed way above average for the task it's performing.

these boats come up for sale in the internet, once in a while..... kinda hard to find though.... some older cabin cruisers may also fill your bill.

the 25hp is the kicker (no pun intended) that i think yer gonna have to go w/o. ya need something a shade larger to comply with the camping onboard part.....

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Maineman,

I assume when you mentioned the Redwing you were refering to this:

http://www.cmdboats.com/rw18.htm

RW18-SCF-3A.jpg

I guess that would be a displacement hull design that only requires minimal power to reach its maximum speed of 6-7 kts.

Ziggy assumes you are looking for a boat that can plane and get from A-B a little faster.

You mention that speed isn't important to you however, I think to be sea worthy in that size of boat you really would need to get a little bit more engine than just 25hp. You need to have enough power to climb swells if you get caught out there.

I do think that C-Dory makes a boat that fits most of your requirments.

The 16' model with a 40hp Honda can get 8mpg @ 21mph or 7nmpg @ 18kts.

If that isn't fuel efficient for a boat I don't know what is.

Good luck with your search. I think it sounds like a lot of fun.

Maineman

Cadet

Thanks guys. I took your advice and did some research on the C-Dories. Pretty impressive little boats. And I found one used that I'm going to look at next weekend. They ain't cheap.

I don't have enough experience with motorboats to know what I need for HP to be safe in the inner bays. I'm asking around and everyone has a different and strong opinion.

RotaryRacer, yep, that's the Redwing. It's a pretty straightforward epoxy and plywood build that I was going to tackle this winter. I was going to drop her foredeck about 8" to make a tiny casting platform and then extend the cabin forward a foot. She's a little funny looking but amazingly efficient and quiet. I worry that her flat bottom would pound even at such low speeds in any kind of chop and also pound all night at anchor.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Sounds good Maineman.

I don't know if you stumbled accross www.c-brats.com yet or not. It is a forum dedicated to C-Dorys. They have a for sale section on there and a lot of great conversation about the boats and the adventures that owners take them on. I understand what you mean about not being cheap. From what I can tell you get what you pay for though.

The only reason I know about them is that I had considered building a Bateau Pilot 19 or Harbor Master 19.

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=P19

In my research I came accross the C-Dory and realized that buying it could be a lot cheaper in the long run and far less time consuming. I have decided to be satisfied with the old boat I have now until I can afford something that fits my longer term desires.

Good Luck. Let us know how you proceed.

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maineman,
I think I understand your requirements, as I have often sat and dreamed of cruising on a small boat for years. I have, however, come to realize there will have to be compromises, depending on what your true objectives are. For example:
- Small boat with great seaworthiness and cheap to operate, and inexpensive to get - purchase an older sailboat, like a Catalina, with a centerboard, and add an auxillary engine to it. Easy to get, good living space, seaworthy, but heavy and SLOW.
- Build your own flatbottom boat. Time consuming, no resale value, maybe seaworthy, efficient. In the case of the Redwing, still very slow.
- Use a small walkaround fishing boat. See Jeff Nicholas (jeffnick) on this site. He has taken his SeaSwirl 1850 to places most will never go, at about 5MPG, and at speeds in the mid 20's. Seems like a good way to go. Seaworthy and pretty inexpesive.
- Use a cruising vessel more like the Cape Dory 22. There is a couple who have travel for years, living out of their Cape Dory 22. Google "Halcyon Days" and read for days about the travels of Bill and El Fiero.
- Use a boat you have. Google "Ultimate Small Boat Adventure" by Cary Alburn. He used his boat that he had to cruise 1000 miles. A long trip, but not as long as the Fieros or Jeff.

Read about these three folks, and it will give you a good idea about cruising and camping on a small boat. Good luck!!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

- Use a cruising vessel more like the Cape Dory 22. There is a couple who have travel for years, living out of their Cape Dory 22. Google "Halcyon Days" and read for days about the travels of Bill and El Fiero.

Just a slight correction txmntman. Bill and El use a C-Dory...not the same as Cape Dory (a predominately sail powered manufacturer).

Otherewise you are right on in everything you mentioned.

In addition I will mention the MacGregor 26. It is probably the best executed multi-propulsion boat in its class. It can run in the low 20mph range when powered by a 50-60hp motor and be pretty good under sail also.

http://www.macgregor26.com/

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RotaryRacer, you are correct! I stand corrected (actually, I SIT corrected). Bill and El use a C-Dory. I must had suffered a "mental-pause". :confused: Thanks for the correction.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another really economical boat is the Retro 21. Not fast but pretty seaworthy.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Another really economical boat is the Retro 21. Not fast but pretty seaworthy.

That is another interesting boat. They say it runs 30-32. That seems pretty fast to me...especially considering many of the other boats mentioned here.

I see maineman posted on c-brats. It seems he has decided on a C-Dory.

Good Luck maineman. Let us know how you make out.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is another interesting boat. They say it runs 30-32. That seems pretty fast to me...especially considering many of the other boats mentioned here.

I don't know how fast it will run, but the design cruising speed will be in the low to mid-teens at a guess. It has a semi-planing hull, so I would think it will get pretty squirrelly at those higher speeds.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

However getting back to the OP's requirements, and since he was a sailboater, the Retro 21 might be just fine. 10 to 15MPH is fast for a sailboat.

Maineman

Cadet

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the advice.
I hope to look at a used 16' C-Dory this weekend. I'm pretty excited about it. But most of the folks at the C-Dory site feel that 16' is pretty small for what I have planned. I'm not sure. I know that when other guys feel the need to buy a giant RV, I'm pretty happy sleeping in the cap on the back of my truck.

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maineman,
There are some of us that like doing activities with smaller rigs. I have a 15ft Center console when most have a 18 or 21. I have a 25ft RV, when most say I must have a 30 ft. A smaller boat will mean a smaller motor, a smaller tow vehicle, and less gas. If you are willing to compromise and creative, you can create a wonderful package for yourself. Again, the user Jeffnick has gone thousands of miles cruising in a 18 ft walkaround. Do what works for you, not what works for someone else.....
(stepping off soapbox now)....