90 HP Johnson Tilt Motor Full of Fluid

SkyKing917

Recruit
I have an 88 90hp Johnson. The tilt/trim was working slowly, barely able to tilt the motor. I tried filling the fluid and running up and down and few times and refilling, but no success. Removed unit from outboard and discovered tilt motor was full of hydraulic fluid. Do you think this is my problem? Is this normal? I suspect not, but wondered if it was a cooling feature or something. Assuming this is not normal, is there a seal on the tilt motor I could replace, or do I need to replace the whole motor? I am considering replacing the entire trim/tilt assembly because a used one may be cheaper than just a new tilt motor. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 HP Johnson Tilt Motor Full of Fluid

No, it is not normal. The armature seal has failed. This failure allows the PTT fluid to travel from the oil pump area directly into the internal portion of the electric motor. If you can't locate the seal, contact me via a PM as I have a few left in stock.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Joe: Is'nt that seal in the pump body?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

R.J...... No, the seal is actually part of the electric motor. The ones I have are included in seal kit #390987 (around $60.00), but I also have them separately (about $15.00).

However, this seal is only for the electric motors that have PMP 4001 stamped on the bottom of them.

SkyKing.... There are other electric motors with other numbers stamped on the bottom of them. If yours is different, let me know what the number is and I'll see if I can locate a seal kit number.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Joe: I just could'nt remember where that seal was.

SkyKing917

Recruit

Thanks for the prompt response. You have confirmed my suspicions. I will try to take it back apart this weekend and check for the model number. I did notice that one of the brush springs was weak and in need of replacement too. Is there a brush replacement kit available too? I will confirm the brushes condition when I get it back apart. Perhaps I should just consider replacing the entire motor. You have been a great help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Brushes, springs, etc (bunch of stuff) are included with the kit if I have the proper kit for that electric motor.

SkyKing917

Recruit

Hi again,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to the group, but I was busy on other projects. I have taken off the trim motor today and cannot detect any part numbers on the trim motor itself. However, in referring to my Johnson service manual, I have concluded that the trim motor is a Showa 2.4" diameter model. The diagram shows what appears to be a part number of DR2128. It is tirangular in shape on the bottom, and the supply wires enter on the side of the lower base of the unit. Do you have the seal/brush kit available for this model? Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I have no idea what that number pertains to. There are four (4) different seal kits. The electric motor description and the seal kit numbers follow.

Electric Motor with "PMP 4001" stamped on bottom - Seal kit 390987 (This one I have)

Electric motor with "20478" or "43728" stamped on botom - Seal kit 392202

3" dia electric motor with "S" stamped on end cap - Seal kit 398606

2.4" dia electric motor with "S" on end cap - Seal kit 583522