Anybody else use a push reel lawn mower?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Fired the lawn guy couple weeks ago. Figured that was the only way I could finance the replacement of some stolen fishing gear. Then I realized, I have no power mower, just this 14" cut "Silent Reel" I bought 15 years ago when I just had a very small lawn, hasn't been used in a long time. Sharpened & adjusted it - turns out it's lots easier to push than a power mower. Narrow cut means more walking but it's not that bad. Just can't let the grass get too long.<br /><br />But it is the only one on my block - several blocks, maybe the whole Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, maybe even the state of Texas.<br /><br />Just wondered if these are the norm anywhere?

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anybody else use a push reel lawn mower?

My brother in Austin uses one and I've seen a couple up here in Denison.

eeboater

Commander

Ugh... heck no!! I couldn't handle it... My yard is way too big...<br /><br />Sean

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one, but it is more of a rustic feature than anything else. With 3 acres of land I would not even attempt to cut that with a push reel mower. :cool:

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

they sell them at Home Cheapo now too!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Once apon a time I mowed lawns with a silent reel mower for $.25 an hour. Correctly adjusted they do a much neater job than the rotary blade mowers.

ehenry

Commander

Thats all my grandaddy ever used to mow his yard. Even when my folks bought him a power mower he used the old reel push mower. He said it did a better job. I still got that old mower haning in my shop. His yard was a fair size yard. I'd hate to know I had to mow it with that old reel mower.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Let's see, no gas to burn, no pull-rope to break, no plug to change, no oil to change, no engine to start, no noise to make.<br /><br />Hmmm. Not a bad idea!

Twidget

Commander

<-------- Way to lazy for that. :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I used one that had a grass catcher hooked on the front many years ago.<br />I don't think that i could mow with it these days, not after being spoilt by modern technology, :)

one more cast

Captain

The only reel mower I have anymore is a 1931 moto mower.<br />
motomower29city.jpg

SpinnerBait_Nut

I seen one that an old man had that was set-up like a bat-wing and you rode on it like a regular riding mower.<br />It had 3 sets of them things, 1 in the middle and 1 on each side.<br />It could cut some grass, but it had a little to small of an engine on it.

Link

Rear Admiral

They are called Calif mowers out here. (don't ask me why). But all of the professional ground keepers use them. Both with and without motors.<br />They make a lot nicer cut than the rotary blade mowers. But I think your correct when it comes to most home owners.. havent seen anyone mowing thier own lawn with one in a long time.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I've got a politically correct yuppie across the street from me that uses one. Ya know, the type that thinks that diversity training, at work, will get him into Heaven.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A lot of folk around here use those old manual mower jobies... The previous owners of my house left me the old gas mower so I use that though.<br /><br />I wonder what makes the old manual ones cut better than the gas mowers?

SpinnerBait_Nut

It's the way the blades turn.<br />Also they have to be pretty sharp to make the good cut.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I have a cheapo Sears Craftsman reel mower. Woodchips stop it dead. I usually use the gassy mower.

brother chris

Commander

I like push mowers. They save our planet by not using gas and oil. <br />They also work great for making a golf green in your front yard, but you can't let the grass get too long. <br />I wish I still had one. <br />Right now, we have 2 gas mowers. I also have my electric mower which has a broken plastic wheel and a bearing that is about to go. <br />With 5 acres, that is a lot of grass to cut!

Stratosfied

Ensign

Don't use one and have never had one. Heard one time of a more mature man who wanted to cut his grass one evening, and hearing the neighbors out in their yard didn't want to disturb them with the noise of his gas mower. He busted out the push reel mower and he was cutting away, the neigborhood kids came up to him and said WOW, where did you get that NEW fancy mower?? :confused:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Just about every golf course uses gas powered reel mowers for their fairways, tee's, and greens. They do cut the grass instead of beating it to death like a rotary mower does with a dull blade. They also are more precision on the depth you want to cut.<br /><br />The manual push type, I used at my old house when my lot was real small. I've been thinking about getting a set of gang reel mowers for my present yard, but the maintenance is more on them. Time is something I lack most of the time. Mowing grass is the only reason I like snow.