Steering Problem

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really need som advice guys. I took my 1986 Riveria Cruiser with a 1987 Johnson 70 hp VRO out on the lake yesterday for a little while.

The engine started & ran just fine so I headed out past the no wake bouy. Once beyond that I gave it a little throttle & then advance it up to about 1/4 & just started cruising. I noticed I had to hold the steering wheel to the left but didn't think much about it UNTIL I happened to turn the wheel loose to light a smoke. When I did, the boat immediatly started a right hand turn that was pretty sudden. After getting it back on course, I advanced the throttle to maybe 3/4 & in doing so I had to hold a LOT or left pressure on the wheel to get it going straight. What gives??

This engine is not the original one that came on the boat & I have no idea if it was ever set up correctly or anything else about it other then it starts & runs really good & seems to have lots of power. Is there a way I can check this problem out with the boat sitting on dry land? I know there is a trim tab on the botom of the skeg & my experience flying planes tells me I need to move the trim to the left to help correct this problem. CAn I "shim" the motor?Is there anything else I can check out as far as the transom or if the motor is sitting "square" to the transom? I have no idea where to actually start as this is the first pontoon I've ever had. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class
Steering Problem

I really need some advice guys. I took my 1986 Riveria Cruiser with a 1987 Johnson 70 hp VRO out on the lake yesterday for a little while.

The engine started & ran just fine so I headed out past the no wake bouy. Once beyond that I gave it a little throttle & then advance it up to about 1/4 & just started cruising. I noticed I had to hold the steering wheel to the left but didn't think much about it UNTIL I happened to turn the wheel loose to light a smoke. When I did, the boat immediatly started a right hand turn that was pretty sudden. After getting it back on course, I advanced the throttle to maybe 3/4 & in doing so I had to hold a LOT or left pressure on the wheel to get it going straight. What gives??

This engine is not the original one that came on the boat & I have no idea if it was ever set up correctly or anything else about it other then it starts & runs really good & seems to have lots of power. Is there a way I can check this problem out with the boat sitting on dry land? I know there is a trim tab on the botom of the skeg & my experience flying planes tells me I need to move the trim to the left to help correct this problem. CAn I "shim" the motor?Is there anything else I can check out as far as the transom or if the motor is sitting "square" to the transom? I have no idea where to actually start as this is the first pontoon I've ever had. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Steering Problem

Try turning the tab first.. With the toon on a trailer can you turn the motor by hand? (at the motor)

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try turning the tab first.. With the toon on a trailer can you turn the motor by hand? (at the motor)

I don't know right this minute. I'll have to check that out in the morning to see. If I can, does this indicate some type of problem with the steering cable?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Tilt the engine out further and if it still pulls, check the tab..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Torque steer, there is a tab above the prop, loosen it and move it some, you may have to try this several times to find the sweet spot. wheel pulls right, move back of tab right, wheel pulls left, back of tab to the left.