suzuki 85 hp

Hi there,

I was wondering if any one could comment on the above engine. Basicly I am going to have a look at a second hand boat tommorow morning with a suzuki 85 hp engine on the back of it. I presume that it's a DT85 and the year being roughly somewhere in the 1980's.

I know this is a bit vague but I just wanted other people's feedback on these particular outboards as I have never owned a suzuki, just mercurys of the same age and earlier and think they are fatastic. How do they compare to Mercs?!:confused:

So any thoughts on this DT85?!

Any comments will be much apperciated good or bad.:)

Many thanks,
Mark.
P.S I will of course be checking compressions on all 3 cylinders, on the mercs I've had anything around 130-140 psi is usualy good so what kind of figures should I be looking for on the DT85?!

Last edited:

James R

Commander
Re: suzuki 85 hp

Suzuki makes a great motor. Very simple and very reliable but like all motors they can be abused. Be sure that you service it before you take it out. The compression test will give you a heads up on the state of the motor. You should expect in the order of 130 psi but what is more important the comp's should be within a couple of pounds of each other. Have a 115 here and the comps were 3 at 130 but #4 was at 125. The engine knocking told the full story,#4 big end blown, needs a new crankshaft etc.
I have several Suzuki's here and I run a DT140. The Japanese motors are horse power rated at the prop. The US motors are rated at the head so I am told therefore the Japanese motors must deliver more power.
Good luck with your quest.

Re: suzuki 85 hp

Thanks for the reply James.

Wow didn't think that a difference in 5 psi would make that much difference!! If anyone has other comments on this engine please feel free to add to the thread!:D

I have done a little research and they all seem to be mixed views. I think with all things it depends on how well it has been looked after in its life more than anything else.:redface:

Just if anyone knows any particular weaknesses with this block i.e head gasket etc it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks,
Mark.