Will this controller work with my Force 85...

cyroute

Cadet
I have a 1995 Carpri 16' boat with a 1988 Force 85 on it the controls that are on it only go from neutral to forward and reverse. I bought a spare 89 force 85 motor that came with newer controls off a 17ft Capri Bayliner. This is the type that pulls out for cold starting. Can I use this with my existing cables or will I have to run the cables that came with the other controller. The only reason I want to do this is becuase the controller I have on there now is all beat up and does not lock into neutral.

This is what the one I have looks like that I want to put on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brun...m14QQhashZitem400002564615QQitemZ400002564615

Thanks,

Joe

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will this controller work with my Force 85...

WELL! ---It may have worked when the seller removed it from the boat but unless I am missing something, it ain't going to work now!

At a minimum it appears to be missing the two clamps that hold the outer cable sheaths so that the controller can actually move the cable core within these sheaths. Unless the seller has the clamps and is willing to send them, OR unless you can adapt the clamps from your existing control box, stay away from it.

They are such small parts but finding them can be a BIG pain in the A**.

cyroute

Cadet

WELL! ---It may have worked when the seller removed it from the boat but unless I am missing something, it ain't going to work now!

At a minimum it appears to be missing the two clamps that hold the outer cable sheaths so that the controller can actually move the cable core within these sheaths. Unless the seller has the clamps and is willing to send them, OR unless you can adapt the clamps from your existing control box, stay away from it.

They are such small parts but finding them can be a BIG pain in the A**.

Frank thanks for the reply. I just put that link on there for an example of what I already have. I got it with the other motor I bought. From what I can tell it is complete and has all the stuff needed to do the swap. I just didn't want to even try swapping if it wouldn't work. The one I have is complete with the cables already attached. I just wanted to know if I had to use the cables that are attached to it or if the ones that are in the boat already would just connect up.

By the way I have some winter work for you if your up to it. I bought a new (used) lower unit case (just the Case) and wanted to know if you could rebuild it using the existing lower unit I already have that works just fine. We talked about this before in PM's. I'm the guy down in Pottstown. I also talked to you on the phone. The case I got has a good Skeg and the lower unit oil change bolt isn't stripped like it is on mine and I also have the stripped pivot screw on mine (remember you said you never heard of that before :). I figured you could just swap all the parts out would that be an easy job?

Thanks,

Joe

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you are getting a complete controller, the cables were the same for 85 and 89 so the option is yours which way you want to go. Of course, it will be a little easier not to have to re-route the cables through the boat. AND, it is possible that the control box will fit the same hole without modification too.

Any time you are ready, just bring the lower units down to my house. Just call the night before so I will be expecting you.

Tomorrow I am taking my 140 up to Black-Rock at Penisville---oops Phoenixville for some testing and synching but I only intend to be a couple of hours so this weekend is open.

BTW: Phoenixville was an important stop on the canal and the bargemen always got their ashes hauled by hookers there. Thus the nickname.

Oh! I'm just a FOUNTAIN of useless trivia. It just SPEWS forth unbidden.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Volvo shifter probably won't work on an outboard.Jerry

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a controller exactly like this a couple of weeks ago off ebay also, for my 1987 Force 50. Bought it to replace the one that came with the motor and it works great, very smooth shifting. The one I got off ebay also had the power tilt & trim butons in the handle. I do not have power tilt so I just swaped out the handles and will save for some deal I may come across in the future. On the back the controller it has merc, OMC & STD engraved on the back.