DT140, loss of power on choppy water

Jones Jr.

Recruit
Hi there

I have a DT140 which is late 1980's I believe.

The motor pretty much runs sweet apart from one issue, if the water is quite choppy and I come down with a bit of a wack the motor seems to cut suddenly then will slowly power up again. I'm not touching the throttle at all, it just does it itself.

Looking at other posts I believe this could possibly be an issue with the "Cooling Water Sensor". Would others agree this is a good place to start? And what would be a good place to source the part from on the net? I could contact my local dealer however it may be cheaper online?

I took my one out and it looks a little dirty but nothing obvious sticks out to me like it being broken or anything (unless it has internal workings you can't see).

Would appreciate your help.

And hi from NZ! Cheers, Aaron :)

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: DT140, loss of power on choppy water

it could either be a fuel tank or fuel line issue, do you have a built in tank or a portable?

jaymz101

Cadet

check for a loose ground wire too. Those can cause pretty spooky problems.

Jones Jr.

Recruit

Hi deehjay, I've got portable tanks. It doesn't appear to make a difference what tank is used so probably not them. Perhaps it could be a fuel line issue? Everything appears to look fine there but maybe.....? I'll give it a look over, thankyou.

And I'll check the wiring jaymz, thanks for that. :)

Am off fishing for a couple of nights so will check back in on Sun here (Sat for the US I believe.)

Cheers
Aaron

deejaycee_2000

Captain

yep, that is what I meant, if you use portable tanks, it is most likely a air leak in the fuel line, so everytime you hit chop it sucks in air, so obviously it is very small hole, so you would have to inspect carefully....