shaft seal replacement, 6hp evinrude (1966)

les.smith

Recruit
Help. I have just bought a 6hp evinrude outboard through e.bay (advertised as hardly used and runs great). So far have replaced impeller, ignition coils and condensors and it is now running as expected. Checked the gearbox oil and it was white. Changed oil and again white. No sign of oil at prop, so suspect drive shaft seal. I am getting conflicting advice on which way the seal is pressed in. Should the seal "spring" face the power head or the gearbox. i.e. is it trying to hold the oil in or the water out?
Thanks in advance, I am a new user to this forum.
Les

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: shaft seal replacement, 6hp evinrude (1966)

Hi Les

I am not sure of how the spring fits, but unless you are sure that the leak is in the drive shaft, I wouldn't mess with it. The LU on my 1967 20 HP Johnson had a leak, and it turned out to be the shift shaft. It wasn't leaking any oil, but water was getting in. There are many places where water can get in when oil cannot get out. Get your LU pressure tested. Then you will be sure where the leak is happening, and you can develop a good plan of attack.

-Eric

freddyray21

Commander

agree pressure test it first to see where it it leaking, but imo replace all the seals while you have it apart. The entire seal kit is less than 20 dollars and if one is bad I would not trust the others. It is most likely the shift shaft seal, but hard to tell until you pressure test it.

les.smith

Recruit

Thanks for the response. I am in Sydney, Australia where parts are certainly more expensive than the US. Any idea what the thread is on the filler plugs to enable me to make an adaptor to pressure test with?