Vhf Antenna installation

tomcater

Cadet
Hi all.

The more I read, the less I know :(

Here is my next dilemma. I just purchased a Uniden oceanus dsc.

I have a 2002 Chaparral 180sse. I'm trying to find a good mount for the antenna. Can any one suggest the right size of the antenna (so it's not too tall--looks good) and the right mounting method? I will be doing boating within 2 km off the shore so I don't need anything powerful. I'm looking at the shakespeare mounts. I'm trying to avoid drilling any more holes than I have to.

Pictures would even be nicer :)

Thanks

tomcater

Cadet
Re: Vhf Antenna installation

Yeah.

That's what I'm considering. With a ratchet mount, I have to drill another hole to run the wire inside right, and install a clam shell on top of it?

thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

to add almost any accessory, you have to drill holes. make sure that is exactly where you want it.

Splat

Lieutenant

Get the tallest best quality antenna you can afford. Probally with a 4-6db of gain.

Bill

tomcater

Cadet

I spent many hours trying to find an antenna mount that has a cable feed right through a ratchet mount but can't.

I know I have to drill another hole for the cable but am trying to make it as nice looking as possible. This is what I found:

http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/ra-166-00-ratchet-mount-stainless-steel.html

I has the cable feed right through the mount.

Whereas this is the most popular mount:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/marinesupplies/large/8353.jpg

but does not have the feed right through the mount....you have to drill a hole beside the mount.

Does anyone have any ideas ? I'm trying to make it as nice as possible.

thanks everyone :p

tomcater

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised no one has manufactured a ratchet mount where you can route the cable through one place rather than having it to route it through 2 separate mount locations.

waterinthefuel

Commander

And like I told the other VHF antenna thread starter, mount it as high as possible.