what model is it

Gents, I have a Johnson 90HP VRO and the only numbers on it are RPH0431673, can you tell me what year it is and what modle number to use to order parts. It started knocking on my last outing so when I finally got back to shore on the kicker I took the cover off to get a look at the piston. Sure enough the pistion is chewed all to heck and the cylender was rusty. It ran just fine up to the point it started knocking, any clues as to why this happened. I have purchased a Clymer Evinrude/Johnson repair manual and have started breaking this thing down. Any help here is very much appreaciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: what model is it

RPH stands for "Replacement PowerHead". So that doesn't help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Post a picture of it. Somebody may recognize the decals, etc.

Does this number mean anything to any of you J1125226. I am trying to decide if it's worth repairing or not. Any suggestions or leasons learned would be great.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd assume the model and serial # tag is missing also? It's usually on the engine bracket that bolts to your boat.
If you are going to consider this rebuild yourself, you should try to find a factory service manual instead of that Clymers. They can be found on ebay for under $50, but you will need to know the year, so we need to figure that out first.
Like F R said, if no id tag, post a pic of it on here and hopefully someone will recognize the paint and decals. If it's VRO it has to be at least mid-to-late 80's or newer, since I believe they introduced the VRO in '86 or so.
As for the piston, did any kind of alarm sound or anything? Do you have any quages hooked up? It sounds like it ate a ring to me, if the piston is all torn up.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That powerhead number is for a 1988 - 89 110 or a 1990 - 91 115. Both are V4 bubble back crossflow powerheads.

If the damaged piston is on the starboard side, it most likely broke a ring. If that's the case, the most common cause of that is from lugging the motor. If the sharp edges on the dome are burned away it could be ignition related.

I am working on getting a picture of it posted. The piston that ate it's self is on the top right if you are standing behind the motor looking forward. It is a VRO 90 HP. When I bought it the VRO had been disabled and had been for a good spell.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You did put TCW-3 2 stroke oil in with the gas didn't you ??

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If - and we don't know at this point - the damage is from lugging it has more to do with top capable rpm than oil.

Always made sure the fuel and oil mix were done. Finally got the block apart. The bearings on the crank were rusty and stiff but not siezed. The bearing for the piston rod was gone. The rings were gone. The piston wall is scored, and the crank has some groving (not deep) . I think I am about ready to throw the towell in on this one. So my question now is what is involved in changing out motors. I have found a really nice 2008 mercury 90hp. The motor will come with the controls and all that stuff seeing how I am thinking of buying the boat and all. If I have to drill new mounting holes what are some of the way to seal the old ones without jepordizing the hull intergity.

Hay guy's hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. What info can anyone and everyone provide me about a 2008 Mercury 90HP, model number 90elpto. Any thing is welcome.