New Volvo DPS-A greasing question...

gregstukey

Seaman
I was removing this drive today--one of the newer models that resemble the composite drives Volvo built and in the manual there is no mention of gimbal bearing/u-joint lubrication. There is no grease fitting on the gimbal housing or anywhere else on the drive, no grease fittings at the u-joints. Anyone know anything about this? When in the service manual at a maintenance schedule it really doesnt say anything about lubricating the joints and bearings. ???

Thanks,
-Greg

The boat is a Cobalt 32 with twin Volvo 8.1 Gi's with the DPS-A 1.78 drives.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Volvo DPS-A greasing question...

The gimbal bearing is a "Lubed for life" bearing, what ever that means. OEM ujoints have been without zirks forever.

gregstukey

Seaman

Thanks Don, so, when I pulled the drives one had a tan very light fluid in it which I thought was water intrusion mixed with the existing grease. The other drive was clean as a whistle (no grease and very clean all around). Any thoughts as to what this fluid is? There was a ton of it pooled up in the ujoint bellows and dripping from the ujoint shaft when pulled.

Thanks,
-Greg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked the gear lube oil level? Is the oil milky? Bet it's low in that one drive. The gear lube is engine oil colored, if it was milky, it may also have a leak in the bellows somewhere, hard to say without actually seeing and feeling it.

gregstukey

Seaman

Nope. Drive oil good. Still stumped. Definitely a tan color and slightly more viscous than drive oil. Also slightly clumpy....like cream of wheat.