1977 Mercury 700 no spark

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Howdy all,

I'm completely new to outboards, but have been doing some research here and from what I've read, I feel more confident about getting into one (with the resource that is this forum!).

I'm going to be looking at what is supposedly a '58 Lonestar 14' aluminum runabout with what is supposedly a '77 Mercury 700 on it. The seller says it has no spark, he doesn't do well with electrical stuff, and he's just ready to let it go (Boat, motor, trailer, all with titles). That seems like a LOT of engine for a 14' runabout...but I'm game!

He say's he'll be happy to perform a compression test to prove the engine is sound. I think to myself "Someone who can do a compression test, but doesn't want to diagnose a no spark? What's up with that?" So as you can see, I'm approaching this with a very skeptical eye.

So...I guess I need to know what's the acceptable range of compression numbers? I do realize, of course, that they should be similar between cylinders (I surmise this is a 3 cylinder).

Also...any tips or links on diagnosing the no-spark issue? I've got a DOM and would prefer to take it along with me armed with the necessary knowledge to pinpoint the problem. That way I'll know if it's a worthy deal or not.

I assume this rig has been subject to deferred maintenance and will treat it accordingly, both in value and preparation for the water if I should buy it.

Thanks a bunch for any insight on the specific questions I've asked and ANYTHING you think I should know and/or ask of the seller concerning this package! I'm very technically inclined. I might not know all the specific lingo and stuff for outboards, but I'll catch on quick.

Thanks again,
Clem

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1977 Mercury 700 no spark

Here is a simple test for the ign. system from CDI. Keep in mind that you should never buy a outboard in less it's in the water running to your satisfaction
scan0002-1.jpg

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1977 Mercury 700 no spark

Thanks A LOT for that information! It certainly gives me something to start with. I'll have to search the forums and brush up a bit more.

As for only buyning something in running order...that's not my style ;). I rarely buy functioning things (Cars, motorcycles, boats, you name it). I find it's more economical and fun to buy them (or have them given to me) broken and go from there. This boat, motor, and trailer combo is priced at a point I feel comfortable purchasing (after thorough inspection) knowing the motor may be a write-off.

Thanks again, I'll let you all know how this one comes out!
Clem