Boomarang boat- what to do

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's the story in a nutshell. I bought a boat from my friend about 8 years ago (1974 Glastron). Paid $500 at that time. I fully restored the boat and used it for 5 years. I ended up buying a new boat and he bought it back from me for $2000. He's used it for the last 3 years, but now he and his family are moving cross-country and he called me to see if I wanted the boat before he put it on Craigslist. His price is $400. The boat is still in as nice condition as the day I sold it to him. He took good care of it and even had new sunbrella canvas made last year.

So now I have too many boats.

My question is this: Should I sell the boat and trailer as a package and get the $1200 or so book value....or do I part it out and turn a much larger profit? The boat is very nice, and I hate the thought of tearing it apart after all the work I put into it.

1974 Glastron 18'
100 hp Mercury OB (1974)
Hull and motor in excellent (almost showroom) condition
Interior- looks almost new still
Trialer- 1985 roller trailer (can't remember the brand) in excellent condition.
Nicest riding boat I've ever owned. Sucks gas though.

Help me out here!

Chuck

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boomarang boat- what to do

excellent (almost showroom) condition

Ayuh,....

Come Spring,... You might get a couple Grand or so around Here....
But,....
If the motive is Money,... Parting it out will return Bigger Dollars for the effort invested....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i actually think you will get more for it as a unit. old hulls just don't sell very high, used trailers 100-300. 100hp merc $600. book value on a boat that old is useless.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hang on to it through the winter sell it in the spring for $2000

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem is that I really don't want something else kicking around my property. I already have too much "stuff" and it's starting to look like Sanford and Son. I just want to move it on.

I couldn't let the boat go- the potential for profit and the close connection I have after spending hundreds of hours working on it- it's like part of my family.

The hull is just about mint. There's only one small blemish on the very bottom where one of the rollers broke years ago and scraped it. It still shines better than my new boat.

I never expected to sell the hull if I decided to part it out. I know it's not worth anything.

Last night, my wife suggested that we donate it to a charity that we've heard about that takes disabled people fishing. I'm going to contact them today and see if there's a possibility they would want it to add to their fleet of assorted boats. I'd rather go that route and bite the $400 for a good cause. It's a nice tax write-off too.

Chuck

mthieme

Captain

Chuck, what part of the world are you in?

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can make it real easy for you, my closest friend of freinds, good buddy, partener, colleague, right hand man, chum, ol' buddy o' pal of mine:rolleyes::rolleyes:;):rolleyes::D.

I'd love to help you out. :)

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I vote for donating it to the charity. The goodness will come back to you tenfold, and you get a write-off for FMV.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

GM - The donation route seems to satisfy all of your immediate requirements. If the charity is legitimate, then you could probably get a legitimate receipt for the full book value of the rig. That means you'll probably get back about 1/3 of the value in tax reduction at the end of the year. Also, it clears the rig off of your property right now. Furthermore, it sort of satisfies your attachment to the rig by placing it in a good place. ;)

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chuck,

If the charity route does not pan out, another option, is to find a young family, that would be interested in boating but can not yet afford to start, sell them the boat for the $400 dollars.

The rewards would be well worth it.

mthieme

Captain

What do you call boomerang that doesn't come back?

A stick.:)

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update: Over the weekend I turned the boat over to a gentleman that I met through the charity. I signed the boat over to him after chatting with him for a while. He's a veteran (Vietnam) and is missing a foot. His wife recently passed away, and he's been in and out of the VA since then because of depression issues. He loves to fish, but has been without a boat for 2 years because his old one just gave out and he had to get rid of it. He showed me some pictures and I would never have even used the boat as a planter in my back yard.

He literally got teary-eyed when he saw the boat, and was so appreciative that it made me teary-eyed.

That was the best $400 I ever spent.

Chuck

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boomerang boat- what to do

Re: Boomerang boat- what to do

A perfect way to "git rid of" the boat. :D

BTW, it made me teary eyed just reading it!

jonesg

Admiral

giving, with no thought of return (tax benefit etc) is the only REAL charity.

paradoxically, its exactly that sort of giving that comes back from unseen directions.

That kinda meshes with what Mother Theresa said about stuff, "its the 'things' that people value so much that keeps them seperated and apart from others".

Benny1963

Lieutenant

you dont know how far what you did will take you.
good job man you ever need anything pm me ill be there for ya
im and ex vet that mans life will change and you put him back on the water
excellent job .that comes from the heart
the best to you and your family