Anchoring a boat off a beach

caken

Seaman
I am headed to the colorado river this weekend and am going to a spot that requires anchoring instead of beaching boats because of the tide. I have never done this before and would love any help or advice on how to do this so my boat does not float away :)

Thanks

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anchoring a boat off a beach

The Colorado River rises and falls with the tides? I was not aware this took place on inland waterways. Wow, I learned something today!!! Thanks! :)

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any time Iv ever anchored on a river we always anchor with the bow up river. I then use two anchors that are strong enough to hold the boat; I toss one out to the left and one out to the right. I also use ropes that are about 25ft longer than the water is deep. This way the boat can rise and fall with the water and not really move.

I have also tied up to the bank, from both sides of the river if I?m in a cove. Just tie far enough up the bank that you?ll still be above the water line. Make sure you give enough slack for rise and fall of the tide.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I thought it odd that the Colorado River would be tidal. So I looked it up on the net, and found this:

Releases from Davis and Parker dams will vary from about 4,600 cubic feet per second (cfs) to 19,000 cfs during a 24-hour period. River levels will vary during the 24-hour periods with the higher levels coinciding with periods of peak hydroelectric power generation. Levels below the dams are usually highest during the afternoon and early evening. Average daily releases may vary in response to changing conditions
Source: coloradoriverinfo.com

Cool! A man made tidal situation.

caken

Seaman

Thanks for the advice. I have also seen in some pictures a line from the back of the boat to shore. Is this necessary or will the two anchors be sufficient?

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If that river can run at 19,000cfs that?s FAST moving water, I would use 2 BIG anchors or even 4 and proudly tie off from the shore. That way your boat won?t move.

winfan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. I have also seen in some pictures a line from the back of the boat to shore. Is this necessary or will the two anchors be sufficient?

Went to Needles last year and Parker Dam this year. Yes in MHO you need to anchor off the bow and run a line to shore. The River does not seem to run as fast at Parker as it did at Needles. Point the bow up stream (into the wind) and still tie off the stern to shore. As in the 1st pic. Sorry it is far away but it was the best one I had. Also take a look at the pic of the SeaDoos. That was taken during the day. In the morning they were sitting on the bottom. Both these were taken at Parker. Anyway we all had a blast at both Parker and Needles last year. But the group that we travel with voted for Parker next year. Oh one more thing. We trashed 3 props between the 2 boats this year at Parker in one week. Hitting bottom happends. As for Needles we had a zero prop week. But Parker as I said was worth it.
101_1498.jpg

101_1453.jpg

Drowned Rat

Captain

Beaching is still the way to go. Find a steep bank that you know will leave enough water under the boat at low tide. Tie the bow off to either a sand spike or tree. Tie the stern on the upstream side to a spike or tree on the beach upstream of your position. A pully attached to your bow sand spike lets you run your line through it and back to your bow cleat making tidal adjustments easy. The stern spring rarely needs adjusting as long as it's kept close to 90 degrees off your stern.

I would never trust an anchor to hold on a tidal river unless you plan to sleep on the boat. A rising tide shortens your scope and can break the anchor free. As can an increase in flow which speeds up the river.

nlain

Commander

I anchor off the beach in tidal waters all of the time, the way we have to anchor the boat is across the current, drop bow anchor, back in to the beach, put pressure on bow anchor in reverse, then get out and take stern anchor to the beach and set it. We have a 6 to 9 foot tide swing and during the mid range of the tide the water is quite swift. I have 100 feet of anchor line and put most of it out on the bow anchor so I have plenty of room to adjust for the tide change. The photo below shows the stern line and from the direction it is off the boat that photo was taken on the incoming tide. As long as you set your anchors well and have plenty of scope you should have no problem. We are also in the East Coast ICW and get 4 and 5 foot wakes off of the large boats that travel the ICW, they will bounce your boat around a lot, another reason to set the anchor with plenty of scope.

2006_0819Image0026.jpg

caken

Seaman

OK all of this really helps. We are headed to Park Moabi by Needles. I am hopping that where they have the campsites the current is not too strong. I believe it is some what protected. I will bring an extra anchor just in case and will probably wake up several times during the night to check on it :)

Wish me luck!!!

nlain

Commander

Good luck to you, just set the anchors well and you should be fine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use the same system as nlain.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The water is deep where your going, you should hit bottom as long as you stay out of the coves, and away from the shore.

Also, some of the beaches out there will change water direction at night vs the day. So keep that in mind.

And dont tie too close to the beach thinking you will be up at 6 to get it into deeper water. tide will go down at 5am sometimes, and never go down on somedays.

Your going at an odd time of year. the water will be a little lower than usual.

but a STRONG word of advice. DO NOT. I repeat DO NOT try to drive from mojavi to Laughlin. The water is VERY shallow just between needles and laughlin. About 10 miles up from the bridge it gets dangerous. Trees an inch below water, rocks everywhere, random rocky sand bars. Gas lines. all hidden 1-6" below the water.

Dont even try it.