'99 90ELPO Merc Oil Tank Replacement Questions

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a leaking oil tank when the '99 90 Merc is trimmed up. Looks like the inside of the tank neck is hammered so I ordered new tank and cap o-ring. My question is looks like there is a lower mounting bolt that requires removal of lower cowl. Anyone have tips/suggestions for the job? I am fairly mechanically inclined but 1st OB boat I have ever owned. I also ordered a factory manual for it so hopefully that helps. I was planning on running boat on stand alone fuel tank @ 50:1 for a while to make sure oil system is bleed out. Required?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: '99 90ELPO Merc Oil Tank Replacement Questions

I have a leaking oil tank when the '99 90 Merc is trimmed up. Looks like the inside of the tank neck is hammered so I ordered new tank and cap o-ring. My question is looks like there is a lower mounting bolt that requires removal of lower cowl. Anyone have tips/suggestions for the job? I am fairly mechanically inclined but 1st OB boat I have ever owned. I also ordered a factory manual for it so hopefully that helps. I was planning on running boat on stand alone fuel tank @ 50:1 for a while to make sure oil system is bleed out. Required?

In the factory manual will be a procedure for filling and starting up the oil injection system. Put on a part tank of 50:1 premixed fuel till you get the oiler set up and proved. Then just add gas to the fuel tank.

A little oil in the gas won't hurt anything. I run about an ounce of oil to a gallon of gas along with the VRO. Just insurance, plus I run the XR4 a bit harder than the specs say I should.

hope it helps
John