1981 25 HP. Tiller Conversion?

BOATMAN22424

Recruit
Hi there, I have a 1981 Evinrude 25 HP outboard that I want to convert from tiller handle to remote steering since I am installing a center console into my skiff. The model number is E25RCIM. I've been told that this could be done, but I am having no luck finding anything online. If someone could give me a list of everything that I need as far as parts, and possibly part numbers, and where to find them, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks for your time, Derek

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1981 25 HP. Tiller Conversion?

Take a look at the parts list on the BRP Parts website for your engine. Also look under "OB accessories" rather than "Evinrude" there may be a kit listed in the miscellaneous section for 1981.

Also look at the similar parts lists at http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f

and

http://www.crowleymarine.com/index.cfm

as you will find prices and info on availablity.

Your best bet may be to keep an eye open for a motor being broken for parts. The parts lists above will enable you to identify other engines that used the same parts.

BOATMAN22424

Recruit

It is a electric start, and also has the pull start as a back up.

hardcase

Recruit

I am trying to do the opposite with my 97, I want to make it have tiller controls instead of remote. Is this possible or do you only go one way??

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's going to depend. I had a '78 35hp that was electric start remote steer. I had to get the handle assembly and have an OMC tech do it (I didn't know how at the time). Iknow it can be done, but I believe it cost me like $250 in labor, not counting the parts I had got from ebay.