Ski boat build

GOVAN77

Recruit
Hello all,

Background Info: Unfortunantly I fall into the category of so many first time boat buyers (getting ripped off). The story is a classic long and really well pulled off scam from ebay. my fault partly but I did get it inspected by a marine shop. but they have gone bust and failed to notice the flaws in the hull.

I purchased a 30 year old fiber glass lewis clinker ski boat with a 307 chev with a new bore. She had massive amounts of delamination a rotten transom and stringers.

So considering the time and cost of repairing this peice of junk I managed to find a new stage one hull and have started swopping everything out from the only boat.

Problem: I was hoping that there would be someone out there who has installed or knows of information on installing boat parts.

engine mounts
skeg
cavitating plate
steering
etc.

but the main question i have is for direction on punching a hole for the prop shaft penetration and installing the log box.

would love to have some direction and advice on this matter.

regards Joel

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ski boat build

hi joel....welcome to i boats.

sorry to hear of your predicamant...

every thing you want to know is right here.....we have all been thru it....

read the compleated restoration forum.....and the i/o forum is a fantastic place with some of the best gurus around......

post pics of what you want to do....and where you are at with the project...and we acn take you from there.

cheers
oops

GOVAN77

Recruit

Ok thats great stuff. Had a look at the completed restoration forum. old mate appears to have done a reall nice job on his boat. Mine is a little different. she is a center mount inboard. I will take photos and try and post by end of week with my questions.

Guages & wiring: I have a lot of old guages from the old boat that I was looking at doing a stright swop over with but I have encounted a little problem. the wireing was really old a dodgy so I ripped it all out without taking photos and remembering where things were ment to go. has anyone got a sketmatic or plan on how to wire up guages ie speedo, rpm, oil temp and pressure, fuel levels, ignition, fuse box, speekers radio etc?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

all boats are a bit different due to the nuances of each system.....

but in the electronics forum....there is a compleate schematic of boats.....(a few of them).....but you are a long way from that right now....lets get you solid and glassed......the interior and gagues are one of the last steps of the job you are planning on doing.....

in boat building you learn...one thing at a time

GOVAN77

Recruit

ok, sounds good to me. well the new stage one hull is in sound structural condition. I am up to installing the engine (dog clucth already attached to engine), skeg & log box/hull penetration for prop shaft. I have all the parts ready to go but need to know of techniques and systems used for penetrating the hull with precission. Is there a special tool used ? do you have to do any glassing after pentrating the hull? is there any special products used for these applications?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i must admit im not really sure what you are tying to do......

if it is a mid engine boat....(hull)...the hole is allready there...

if its not a mid engine hull and you are trying to make it one.... i dont think you can.....i was going to make my 69 ray a mid engine (from a i/o) and that way forget the drive.....but the hulls are totally different.....and the change is not advised......

so untill we can see pics it is hard to advise you......

BUT....any thru hull hole...is repaired from the outside and inside.
as far as cutting it in the right place....there are a lot of different factors....but mostly nothing that cant be filled with glass after its cut and centered