Water In Lower Unit

trent_tweeter

Seaman
18 hp evinrude 15028-07596 Golden Jubilee - What year is this?
Have more water than oil in lower unit. Replaced oil but it is leaking. Are prop shaft seals still available for this unit? Do I need a new gasket for the lower unit when replacing the seal? What is the proceedure for doing this repair? Also motor is very hard to start after sitting for a week or two. Runs great after it finally starts, (I always drain carb after weekend). Has air/fuel hoses from tank.
Peter.

iwombat

Captain
Re: Water In Lower Unit

First things first - did you replace the washers (or o-rings depending) on the drain/fill plugs? This should be done EVERY TIME you change the LU lube. If not, it's a likely place for water intrusion.

trent_tweeter

Seaman

Yes replaced washers and filled from bottom hole to expell any crap out the top.

iwombat

Captain

Ok, on to the next issue. You should check behind the prop and look for any fishing line etc in the prop seals. Barring any kind of discovery there, you should pressure test the LU while submerged in water. That will tell you where the leaks are. You might get lucky and find something that doesn't require a complete LU rebuild.

iwombat

Captain

On some LUs you can replace those w/o disassembly. I'm not familiar enough with the 18hp to make the call. Hopefully, someone will chime in soon.