Volvo 5.7 Gi/DP vs. Merc 350 MPI Bravo I DTS

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can someone help me determine which engine is best for a 22 foot bow rider? I'm considering a new Four Winns but there are way too many engines to choose from. Ideally, I'm looking for the best fuel economy, even though both engines probably guzzle gas. Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I would have posted this in the engine folder but I do not have access to do so :(

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo 5.7 Gi/DP vs. Merc 350 MPI Bravo I DTS

How fast do you wanna go? Generally speaking DPs and Bravo 3s are slightly more efficient at moderate speeds than Bravo 1s. Bravo 1s are usually recommended for speeds over 60. A better question is service availability. Volvo service is sometimes tougher to find, but I gotta believe service is pretty good on all makes in Peoria. Volvo's are usually a little cheaper and the drives are awesome, resale is better for the Mercs. I'd forget worrying about fuel economy differences between all of the MPI combos. I bet for equal horsepower and cruising speeds you are talking less than a $1.50 per weekend from best to worst . . .

Edit: Oh, oh . . . propeller economy GREATLY favors a Bravo 1, and you should always carry spares. That $500 difference will buy a lot of fuel ;) Hole shot (acceleration) GREATLY favors the DP and Bravo 3s.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

If what you say is true, I should go with the 350 MPI Merc Cruiser, which has better resale value and seems to have more serviceability locations? That's all I needed to hear. If no one else can disprove your theory, the choice sounds rather simple to me...

Thanks!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Please note that a Bravo 1 is a single prop and Bravo 3 is dual . . . All three of these drives are bullett proof with proper maintenance. Bravo 3 and the DP will be better out of the hole. Not sure you saw that.