Mercruiser 470R loading with gas hard starting?

ultrasport

Cadet
I have a 1984 4 cylinder mercruiser 470R. Just had the motor rebuilt (was laid up for 4 weeks). Boat runs great when underway but it has a hard time starting. I have to goose the throttle to start, seems to be loading up with gas. My carb was purchased new (2-barrrel merc carb) 2 weeks before motor went and boat was running great. After the boat ignition is off I can see gas dripping into the carb. Also under idle sometimes the carb is dripping instead of the Spray. Now all this makes me believe I have a prob with the carb but I switched out my old carb and the same problems occur. Anyone have any ideas before I go waste more money and get the brand new 500 carb rebuilt. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks Scott

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 470R loading with gas hard starting?

Where is the gas "dripping" from?
Is there gas in the clear hose from the fuel pump to the carb? - it should be empty. If there is gas in it, then your fuel pump is bad.

ultrasport

Cadet

Fuel pump was replaced same time as the carb. really brand new. I have not checked if there is gas in the hose but I will look. As far as the dripping its dripping I guess from the "jets" to inside of the carb.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you have too much fuel pressure pushing past the inlet needle seat in the carb. should only be around 5 psi maybe there was a fuel regulator that didn't make it thru the rebuild or has been altered

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the exact same problem! it would load up at idle and would leak fuel into the manifold when off. I noticed the fuel was coming out of the float bowl vent.
I did a qazi rebuild of the carb (no gaskets or or new accelerator pump were available) i took the thing apart and cleaned all the passages and made sure the float level was set correctly and was not binding. It could be possible if your new carb was handled roughly the float may be out of adjustment.

I reset the idle mix and idle speed and it now purrs.

whats the R stand for reverse rotation?