Prop ding and performance (pics added)

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I just got another aluminum prop (remanufactured), but unfortunately it arrived with a very small ding/tweak in one of the blades. Looks like it happened during shipping. Will this be a big deal? Like I mentioned it's very minor, but still noticeable. I almost wonder if I could heat it and bend it back.

Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop ding and performance

A pic would sure help.I would be inclined to try to tap it out carefully if truely a small ding.No heat required.When running it be very aware of any vibration
How would a properly packed prop get a ding? If a dealer you might contact them see if you can return for exchange.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

I'd contact the shipper ASAP and file a claim for damaged goods.

nlain

Commander

I recently went through a prop exchange, the replacement came in damaged, I took photos, several angles of prop and also the box it was shipped in, damage on box appeared something was dropped on it, and emailed them to Turning Point, within about 2 hours I received an email from them stating they filed a claim with shipper and put another prop on the way to me and that shipper may want to see the damaged prop, so I placed the prop back in the box and put it in the same place the original was so the shipper could get to it.

Get out the digital camera, take good clear photos of prop and package, email to the company you bought the prop from, do not do anything to the prop until you hear from them, anything you do to the prop before will stop any claim they may want to file, they may want everything returned to them.

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well if I bought it new I definitely would not be accepting any damage. In this case it was an eBay deal and I didn't pay a whole lot for it. I really think I can tap this out easily using a block of wood. Here are some pictures, they aren't the best, but let me know what you think.

IMGP3715Small-1.jpg

IMGP3716Small-1.jpg

IMGP3718Small-1.jpg

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I dont hink that little ding affect the performance of your prop BUT if you still the chance to change it go ahead and send them back. Just my two cents...;)

TJEli

Cadet
Re: Prop ding and performance (pics added)

If it doesn't vibrate, I would leave it alone.

-Eli

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks bad to me. I would use it as a spare at best.

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the macro shots I took make it look worse than it is. I'm going to try to straighten it tomorrow.

The seller is fantastic. I've been communicating with him and he's willing to repair or replace for free. Even if I try to repair it and goof it up.

45Auto

Commander

Tap it out and don't worry about it. You'll never know it was there.

Sounds like you got a good seller on Ebay. So if after you straighten it it feels like it's vibrating more than your original prop, send it back to the seller.

Added a couple of pics of my neighbors outdrive. Its been like this since 2002, about a month after he bought the boat. Two blades are missing about an inch of prop, another one is twisted in several places at least as bad as the ding on yours, and a big chunk of the skeg is missing. He says it didn't make any difference at all in the way it ran after it happened. I've ridden in the boat and it runs as smooth and fast as any other 3.0 I've ever ridden in. You'd never know the prop was damaged from riding in it.

DSC04690.jpg

DSC04692.jpg

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trip out 45Auto! Now I don't feel so bad about my prop. Heck maybe I should have kept running my old one! :D Actually my old prop was pretty bad and was causing a bit of low speed vibration.

I tapped the ding out with little effort. It's not perfect, but I don't think it will make any difference. Just the little bit of OCD in me acting up again. :D Should get to give it a test run this weekend, Godwilling.

Thanks for all the help guys!

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would try it, why not

45Auto

Commander

Good luck with your prop, Watchinthebobber. Hope it works out OK for you.

Blows my mind that my neighbor won't replace his prop. It would bug the heck out of me. He keeps the rest of the boat immaculate, looks like it is brand new. Funny part is that he has a brand new prop that he bought with the boat (6 years ago) as a spare. Asked him why he doesn't use it and keep the beat up one as a spare; he said he's tried it and can't tell any difference running the boat between the two so he might as well keep the beat up one on there instead of risking tearing up the new one!

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

45; i thought mnie was bad and its a lot better than your neighbors.that would drive me nuts too. mine viberated enough i could feel it and that was it. i do have a lot pf props, and change them a lot. i can tell real quick if one is worse. i'm a lot fussier than your neighbor!!

MWP

Recruit

Next time you're looking for a rebuilt (used) propeller, give us a call. We have a lot in stock and if you aren't satisfied with the condition of the prop upon arrival, we would allow you to return it. We have a wide selection of new and rebuilt props and even offer a 10% off coupon on repairs on our site.

You have to watch out for rebuilt propellers. You shouldn't repair a prop more than 2 or 3 times because the durability will diminish drastically. You can usually tell how often a prop has been repaired because most places stamp a code on the outer hub between the blades.

http://www.midwestpropeller.com/index.html

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks MWP, will definitely check you guys out next time I need a prop.

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PICK A BLADE, WIN A PRIZE!!! Can you tell which blade had the ding?

Ok, so maybe no prize ;), but I thought I'd show a picture of the entire prop after I worked on the ding. Very minor, but again perspective on prop blades is hard to judge in pictures.

ResizeofIMGP3730.jpg

nlain

Commander

The blade pointing to the top right of the picture.