77 35hp start switch wireing

luisdeleon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i am now fixing this engine, but it did not come with any controls or such. I'm trying to put a key switch to get it to start. i have five wires and don't know what switch to get and how to connect them.
purple/white-
white-
red/purple-
black-
black/yellow-

thanks

luis

luisdeleon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 77 35hp start switch wireing

ohh it's a 77 johnson 35hp seahorse model 35EL77C

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Luis, have you had any luck?

If you need a key switch look for an OMC 6 pole with the feature to push in the key for the choke. Most auto parts stores should stock them.

luisdeleon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys
i'm going this weekend to get it

luisdeleon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

can you explain the 6pole, i only have 5 wires? what is the 6th for? i don't know what to do with the chock it doesn't have it only manual, for now I'm just trying to get it started, don't know if i will put the elec. chock. parts are getting scarce for them. this is'nt the only thing wrong, coils are rusted and the power pack is missing. and from your post the fuesed wire is rigged on mine and not looking healthy, going to fix that too.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you do not need a key switch to start the motor, i would get it running before investing in controls, and wiring harnesses. it is not going to start without a power pack, i would take jumper cables and neg ground to block, and touch large pole on starter, while doing this, i would take the compression and see if you have a viable base to even start with. spend no money on this motor until you have checked compression. there is a reason these parts are missing off the motor. sounds like it was not running, and someone scavaged parts off it.

luisdeleon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

very good point, i do have to check compression.

G DANE

Commander

If you fit some kind og aftermarked switch, be sure ist made for CDI or solid state ignition, shorting drive current to ground. I once fried the ignition on a lawn tractor, by fitting a standard key switch that gave battery power to the stopwire, and the coils smoked right away.

luisdeleon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so can anyone tell me why a 6pole switch rather than a 5