Dumb people choose outboards other than Tohatsu

uncbuck

Recruit
I read on Tohatsu's web site that Smart people choose Tohatsu, dumb people choose something else. I guess it would be smart to replace an outboard that is 24 years old and you can't buy parts to fix it anymore with another one of the same brand. I my part of the country, a 24 year old motor is really not that old. I know of people that are still using motors that are way older than that. You can still buy most parts for some of the old Chryslers, but yet you happen to have a 24 year old Nissian and need a water pump housing, or a head gasket, or a carb rebuild kit, ect.,you soon find out that parts are no longer avalible. Dumb people choose something else.....I think it would be smart to choose something else! And since Tohatsu recently purchased Mercury, a person would be smart to stay clear of those too. Hate to get screwed by the same company twice!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Dumb people choose outboards other than Tohatsu

Can't go wrong with a Johnson or Evinrude. Mine is 28 years old and parts are still easy to get...;)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

where did you get the tohatsu, purchasing merc, info, have not heard that.?

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class

first, it does NOT say that on Tohatsu's website. It says it on one of their dealer's websites (apparently an attempt at a little levity/humor). But that's the dealer's website NOT Tohatsu's website.

second, Tohatsu did NOT buy Mercury (or vice versa). They jointly own the factory that their motors are produced in. Since they jointly own the factory, does Tohatsu make Mercury or does Mercury make Tohatsu? I guess it depends which brand you're trying to sell :))

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

so would those be Tohcury or Merhatsu motors from the joint factory?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's not a joint factory. Mercury and Tohatsu each own half of a realestate company that owns the land and building. Tohatsu then leases that property from that company. Tohatsu then manufacturers engines who they sell to Mercury Marine and Tohatsu distributers in other countries..

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

are the motors from that factory built to different spec depending on how they get name badged or are the motors identical except for paint and graphics?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Of the engines that are sold in the U.S.:

6> Identical
8-30 Identical except for the shift system.
Mercury specifies their own throttle shift grip system on those models.

Tohatsu also sells 50 hp and below engines to Mercury that Mercury then sells in other world markets.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

how long has tohatsu been building mercury motors?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boy, you are loaded with myth and opinion, unc.

It is our policy here that if you seek to discredit anyone or any company you must stick to facts only.

If you had asked here for guidance in finding the Nissan parts you want you might find that they are available to those who seek, rather than whine.

Don't know where you got the idea that Tohatsu bought Mercury. Brunswick isn't offering Merc for sale to T'su or anyone else.

You must have gotten that from the same guy who didn't have your parts so he told you that they cannot be had.

Too many outboard salesmen are loaded with myths and outright lies if they think they will sell a new outboard for them. You might have run onto one of those.