Boat covers are two too many?

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, winterizing the boat, I have a Bimini and bow cover that came with the boat made of Sunbrella. I also purchased a full boat cover to cover the boat for the winter. Should I put the Bimini and deck covers on under the full boat cover, or leave them off?

I am concerned about mildew buildup between the covers. On the other hand multiply covers may give some support for snow etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks Ike

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat covers are two too many?

Personally I'd leave the bow cover and bimini indoors and dry. But I've known others to button up their boat with a nice full canvas cover then bungee a cheap waterproof tarp over that. Need some provision for ventilation though.

ziggy

Admiral

i've got a closed bow, hardtop. with back canvas for full coverage. i don't use the back canvas for storage. i do use a single semi custom fit aftermaket cover. in nebraska. we get ice. so i do put a second semi custom fit afermarket cover on prior to the ice storms. then i take that one off and leaves the clean 1st cover. so, depending on the weather in the winter. i may have 1 or two covers on my boat. i don't leave two covers on indefinitely for breathing reasons either............

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ziggy I am curious, off topic but you mention a closed bow hardtop. Sorry if this is dumb, but is that something that is removable, like a hardtop for a convertible car? If so does it come from the manufacturer or aftermarket and do you have a source for a Sea Ray?

I see your point with regards to the tops. I am concerned with too many tops with mildew, mold and circulation. Here in NY we can have snow, rain and ice in the same day!!!. I amy just go witha tarp that can be easily removed. Thanks Ike

ziggy

Admiral

but is that something that is removable, like a hardtop for a convertible car?
yep, though i've never removed it......

If so does it come from the manufacturer or aftermarket and do you have a source for a Sea Ray?
sorry, no sorce. it's oem aristocraft. unique to aristocraft. it's a sliding, removable hardtop...

IMG_1680.jpg

slides fwd to mate to the windshield, slides back and forth, and is removable.....

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I removed my cover and simply cover it with winter tarps.

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well then, probably leave them off. May cause more trouble then good.

Ziggy very cool. I was a little confused, I thought it was a hard cover that fit over an open bow. That is very innovative. What year is the boat? Sadly manufacturers now seem to merely duplicate everyone else. No uniqueness.

Thanks Ike

Edited: never mind about the date, 1975 is obviously there. Too much winterization vapors!!!