Fixing soft spots on the deck

YMMV

Recruit
Looking for the cheapest way to fix soft spots on the floor deck. Its on a 1986 19ft Bayliner Trophy CC. I know the best way would be to cut the whole floor out but I don't have the time/space nor the thousands to shell out. Im looking for something I can do in a reasonable amount of time with as little $$ as possible. I have been told to lay wood on top of the existing deck and fiberglass over. Any ideas/help would be great. Thanks.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Fixing soft spots on the deck

Looking for the cheapest way to fix soft spots on the floor deck. Its on a 1986 19ft Bayliner Trophy CC. I know the best way would be to cut the whole floor out but I don't have the time/space nor the thousands to shell out. Im looking for something I can do in a reasonable amount of time with as little $$ as possible. I have been told to lay wood on top of the existing deck and fiberglass over. Any ideas/help would be great. Thanks.

First, welcome to iboats forums

Putting wood over the soft decking will provide immediate results in that you won't sink or feel floor sags. However, you'll only be masking the problem.

With an 86 Bayliner, you most likely have a soft deck but potentially soft or rotted stringers which should be addressed as well. These stringers are an integral part of the hull structure and should be examined and/or addressed.

Putting wood over top, traps the rotted floor and stringers underneath, and while it cosmetically fixes it, it truly only extends the problem and defers the cost to later years.

What you're suggesting will work short term, but longer term, won't make the problem go away.

Reboot11133

Seaman

Using plywood over top will just trap the moisture in there. If you have soft spots you likely have waterlogged foam under it. Like NelsonQ said it is just a band-aid and will not solve the problem.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There is no cheap fix. The least expensive way to fix it is to do the repairs yourself. Using the polyester resin and cdx plywood, you should be able to make quality repair that will last you many more years.

Another alternative is to find a good boat with a blown motor or outdrive you can pick up cheap and then swap your motor and/or outdrive in and off you go.

HI,

I think I just purchased the same model boat, is there any chance we could catch up, and exchange some info, I have a few questions I am in Delaware, so not too far away. thanks