Carrying extra gas - Safety concerns

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I have an 18 foot Searay with a Merc 115 outboard. Even though it's starting to get cool out I still like to go out on my boat.

Most gas docks are closing for the season. I would like to carry some extra gas on my boat. I can securely strap some plastic 5 gallon gas cans on the back of my boat. They would be on the swim platform, so that in the event of any leakage it would drain overboard.

My question is, is this considered to be a safe practice, and what extra safety tips does anyone have ?

Thanks.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Carrying extra gas - Safety concerns

I guess the swim platform would be the safest place for them. Just don't fill them to the top - leave some room for expansion.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you are talking about jerry cans, and you are going to be pouring gas, No it is not a safe way. you can use the plastic, outboard tanks, that you just connect the hose to. no pouring, spill in boat dangerous, spill in water kills the wildlife.

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agree with TD - no safe way to do it other than additional gas tanks.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought two o/b portable tanks, 6 gals, make the fuel mix easy, and a spare fuel line that matches my o/b so its a easy connections on the go. At the final run just before trailering for the winter I put seafoam in the portable and run it thru the carbs.

Spilling gas in the lake will draw a hefty fine too.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The portable tanks and extra fuel line is the way to go.
Walmart sells them pretty cheap..;)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

On a recent boat trip I put a couple of 5 gallon cans in the front of my boat under the dash. My boat has straps to hold coolers and other stuff, so it worked great for the gas cans. As it turned out, I didn't need them, but its better to be safe than sorry I guess.