9.5 johnson 1973

Nicola

Seaman Apprentice
I need help finding replacement for this carb of equal or bigger size that can fit this engine..
Even the oem 9.5 carb looks little different shorter on the bottom ...
What gives???
Where can I find the specs for size air intake and the part that attach to cylinders
Tnx for any help or info..

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 0
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0

reelfishin

Captain
Re: 9.5 johnson 1973

I need help finding replacement for this carb of equal or bigger size that can fit this engine..
Even the oem 9.5 carb looks little different shorter on the bottom ...
What gives???
Where can I find the specs for size air intake and the part that attach to cylinders
Tnx for any help or info..

The 9.5Hp was pretty much all by itself when it comes to parts. There was no larger version of this motor. It's not like the newer 9.9/15Hp family.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The intake manifold and reed plate design was changed in 1972-73 over previous year/models to give more efficient crankcase compression. I am not aware of any way that may have changed the carburetor, but that is not to say that it didn't either.

That carb is very specialized to fit that motor. You aren't going to find anything else that will work. Why do you want to change it anyway? Unless it has been sitting around full of salt water or something, there isn't much to go wrong with it that can't be repaired very easy.

Nicola

Seaman Apprentice

Oh I see I am glad I asked because I thought it was like the 9.9...
SO far I dont think anything it is wrong with it...
I just want to learn as much as I know about this engine parts just in case I have to order or find some...
Tnx guys for the help..
So if I have to order or look for the manual I strictly have to look for only the 9.5 manual and repair book 1973 johnson correct ??
Any hints or where to find them ??

Nicola

Seaman Apprentice

Hey is it normal that around the carburetor you can notice some gas like it is kinda wet after running the engine...
If I run my finger across the carb you can feel the gas....
Like sweat .... I dont know if it make sense what I am trying to say ...And it is not just on the carb... just about everywhere.... not much but it is there ...
Ty again for the help

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine does the same, I think it's an overflow vent. Also, I am pretty sure that while there is only one carb made for the 9.5 hp, there used to be a more open high speed jet - I think for higher altitudes? I have wondered if at sea level, would this jet allow for faster speeds.

Anyone know?

Sorry if this hijacks your thread, but I think it's along the same lines of how to pep up the 9.5's

reelfishin

Captain

A motor jetted for high altitude won't run as well as sea level. The air is thinner up there and most carbs set for higher altitudes are jetted leaner than those meant for sea level. This means that you may experience an overly lean condition at lower altitudes. This can lead to poor performance, lack of power, overheating, and possibly engine damage depending on how lean and how hot it runs. Also since a 2 stroke gets its lube through it's fuel, a lean condition can also starve a 2 stroke of lubrication.

A leaner mixture can burn hotter and make more power, but on an outboard that's not always the best idea. There can be a fine line between better performance and engine damage.

Nicola

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Ezeke do you have please a quick link for a rebuilt kit for this carb???
Right now I am kind of confused cause up to a week ago I though 9.9 and 9.5 where similar on basic part so...
Can you point me on the right direction tnx for your help...
Learning a lot around here!!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You have to use a OEM kit for this carburetor. BRP part number is 0382048.

Find a dealer locally:
http://dealerlocator.evinrude.com/en/410000.shtml
Use the third choice and your area code to get a good list.

or,

On-line like ishopmarine.com, maxrules.com, laingsoutboards.com, sea-way.com, among many.