1 of my happiest 2 days

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 2 happiest day in a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Sold a beautiful Crownline today, regretfully, but the Omc motor and out drive were going to bite me. Anyway what is the "BEST" engine and outdrive combo for power and economy in a 18 to 20 ft open bow?????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1 of my happiest 2 days

volvo drive, 4.3 minimum, 5.0 or 5.7 if planning water sports.

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am thinking of a project boat, something with a 5.7 volvo, but I wasn't sure if there was something I should beware of.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

If your old boat had a Cobra drive, you know you could have swapped it over to a Volvo SX when needed, by changing the pivot housing and adding an engine mounted water pump. Marine Parts Express sells kits to do this, but the Volvo drive is pricey for sure. Before going with Volvo make sure good local service is available, if not you gotta go Merc.
Here's a pic of the Volvo SX on an OMC Cobra transom mount.

Attachments

• cobra_sx_pic.jpg
    cobra_sx_pic.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 0

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There were alot of options including continuing to run the 454 /king cobra and hope for the best or switch out components, but I was able to sell for the same amount as I paid for it.The more I put in it the more nervous I would have gotten. 1995 components (ignition,exhaust,power steering, fuel pump, ect ect) were all listed NLA on web sites. Just too many headaches. Also I hope to find something for less money (Volvo or Merc.) for less money that needs some pretty heavy TLC, I have a large heated shop and 2 sons to help with the work. So I'm looking for a good boat that I can restore, and put a good quality drive in. Just wondering what knowledgeable boaters think is the best drive system--for the money.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

any drive that needs tlc....is MORE money......

if you can find a good project boat with the motor drive pkg that td suggested.....(that is the best)....youll be good to go