Has anybody heard of a KMV 1700HT?

Sea Mitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A friend of mine is selling his 1988 KMV 1700HT with an '88 evinrude 60 with 65 hours on it. He's asking $3500. I've never heard of it but it looks good. It's in great condition. It hasn't been used for about 10 years. Does anybody know if its well made? Is there any info out there on them? What was the site for checking out the value of a boat? Does an engine that sits deteriorate?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Has anybody heard of a KMV 1700HT?

The motor should not deteriorate if it was winterized properly. It should have had a fogging spray put into the cylinders & all fuel drained out. The concern would be rust, due to condensation over 10 years, on the bearings and other machine surfaces that you cannot see. The 65 hours dosen't carry much weight with me on an engine that has sat that long.<br /><br />Take the plugs out, spray some WD40 (or equal) and see if it turns over freely by hand. If so it may be OK. If not let us know what you find.<br /><br />If you go ahead, plan on plugs, rebuild the carbs, water pump, thermostats and changing the gear oil plus lubing everything. Make sure all the old gas is purged from lines, tank, etc. Probably a good idea to replace the bulb in the fuel line and any fuel filters. When you get it running, run a can of decarb fluid through it to clean any crud out of the cylinders & rings. Helps to get the OMC manual.

trumpetbucks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Has anybody heard of a KMV 1700HT?

The NADA site lists average retail for that boat at $ 2670 (that's with no electronics or extras, but that's also for one where the engine runs!).<br /><br />I personally (my opinion only!) wouldn't think of paying that much for this boat when the engine is such a big question mark. I bought an "as is" boat with a motor that wouldn't run, but I only paid $300 :) so I didn't mind too much if I lost my shorts on it!<br /><br />I don't know what prices are like around there (you ought to shop around so you'll know) but down here I could get a nice boat with a running motor for that kind of money.<br /><br />Good luck, whatever you decide.