1958 Johnson Supersea Horse 35 HP

Mr. Soria

Cadet
Does anyone have any idea how many ft lbs I should retorque the head bolts back on a 58 Johnson Super Sea Horse 35 HP Outboard?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1958 Johnson Supersea Horse 35 HP

220 to 240 inch pounds. Divide by 12 for foot pounds.
How about a pic of that '58 super seahorse?:)

Mr. Soria

Cadet

thanks for that information will help me out alot with this little project. What you think about these Johnson 58 models?
These pictures attached are a work in progress, not the best looking it can be.

Attachments

• motor 1.JPG
    motor 1.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1
  • motor 2.JPG
    motor 2.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 1
  • motor 3.JPG
    motor 3.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1

jbjennings

Captain

Thanks for the pics! I really know nothing about a '58 superseahorse so I'm useless. I just read the torque specs off a chart I had for you. I am curious due to the mid-section housing cover.... Are you sure it's a '58? I didn't think they came out with that in '58 but as I said, I've never seen one "in person", Ha ha!:)
I love all the '50s OMC's, so my opinion would probably be biased anyway.:D
Later,
JBJ

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yep, it's a '58. That was the crossover year - Johnson offered two versions - one with the silent package (Super Seahorse), and one without.

They are solid motors. Part of the venerable "Big Twin" family of Johnrude 2-cylinder big bore motors. The '58 is is my favorite of that family due to its gold & white styling...
- Scott

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Mr. Soria, if you would like to PM me an email address, I'll send you a PDF version of the owner's manual for your engine.

Mr. Soria

Cadet

yup its a 58 alright. Just having some difficulties starting this puppy up. I torqued down the head 20 ft lbs, but it seems there is alot of compression. I tried starting this baby up and it seems really tough when i try to start it up. When I try to manual start it, the rope will come out I guess about 1/4 of the way and from there on it it really tough to pull to start. Anyone have any clues?

jbjennings

Captain

What all have you done to the motor? Are you starting it with the pull starter? Done any ignition work? Carb cleaning? Will it crank at all? If so, try pulling a spark plug wire and see if it has any affect on the running of the motor to make sure you're getting spark on both cylinders.
Good luck,
JBJ

Mr. Soria

Cadet

Ive cleaned up the carb and cleaned the housing on the pist., and retorqued the head bolts so far. I am in fact trying to pull start it up and it does crank but it is really touch to crank. I have not even started it due to the pull start being so hard to crank ( I feel there is too much compression ). So now I am stuck on trying to figure out what that can be?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The heavy compression, and associated difficulty in rope starting your motor, is normal. If you look at the rear portion of the motor, you will see a piece of stainless flatbar that goes to a compression release assembly. The purpose of this mechanism is to release compression when manually starting the motor.

I have emailed you the Owner's Manual - look on page 21 for information inregard to adjusting the compression relief valves. Improper adjustment and/or lack of free movement of the poppet valves, could be causing your problem.

I have a pair of 1958 Evinrude Bigtwins, and although the powerhead is slightly different, it shares the same compression release system and compression characteristics. I have found that they will start by hand easily when set up properly, but require a fair amount of muscle to do so. On either of these motors, having a well functioning electric starting system is a definate convenience, so I recommend getting it in good shape.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Jay, in the pic posted it appears the compression release assembly has been removed. That may be why it's so hard to crank. It's item #81 in the pic I've attached. There are also several associated pieces missing.

Page10.jpg

bobmc

Recruit

Hi all!
I also have a 1958 Johnson, it looks to be in good shape. I need a starter for it, someone has put a kit on to add an electric start, but I don't have the proper starter. Can anyone tell me where to get one? I got the motor with a 1954 Trojan Sea Horse, they look really good together.
I also need to refurbish the boat, who ever had it before must have just done a quick job to sell it (it worked, I bought it) and now the bow is peelng both on the deck and the oak plywood paint, just from being in the weather a little bit, like a few weeks of just off and on light rain.
Anyway, I would like to find a good starter for it, would also like to get a copy of that manual some one offered in PDF form if available.
Thanks to everyone for this forum, it seems very informative.
Bob

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, those big twins up to 1962 have a 3 ring piston set up. The compression is so high it, could break your arm pullin' on it, so be careful.:cool:

coolguy147

Commander

sorry to highjack a thread but could you guys tell me what the adjustment should be for the compression relieve? .010? .020?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

bobmc...try the auction site or the classfieds at www.aomci.org for a starter...you'll get faster answers if you start your own thread.
Mr. Soria...if you are pull starting that beast, take the recoil starter off and wrap a rope around the flywheel, there's a notch built into it for just this purpose. Wrapping the rope on the flywheel gives you better leverage...you'll trash your arm or shoulder using the pull start because they are real sleepy when cold.
Soak the recoil mech in penetrating oil after you get it off...it's probably really cruddy and needs some lube. Take the plugs out and use the starter to jump it over...you can activate the starter with jumper cables from a battery, just like when you jump start a car. Pos at the battery post to the post on the side of the starter, Neg from the battery post to side of engine block...when you connect the neg to the block the starter should spin it over freely and strongly. Don't keep cranking the starter if it's sluggish or it will fry pretty quickly...also make sure all your starter connections are clean and shiny. If the points/coils/condensors are good and the carb is clean, it should fire right up...if you run it in a barrel make sure the water covers most of the leg...it should spit a good bunch of water out of the port on the back of the leg. Nice stout motors, easy to work on and maintain...and real workhorses on the boat.