Problem after problem, Hydrolic tilt.

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay so I bought a 62 Dorsett Cabin Cruiser thought it be a great boat the guy told me wasn't much wrong with it so i get to doing cosmetic stuff refinishing the wood and what not and find out the electrical is all ate up by rats, and was done in very poor fashion, im in the process of fixing that many of you have probably seen several of my post. Well i took the boat out on the river right behind my house just to see what kind of condition the motor was in and man it sounds sweet could use a tune up, but all and all it is in good condition until i get to a low spot in the water i try and tilt the motor up as not to tear up the prop or propeller and it doesnt tilt. I took it to a local boat repair shop and they dont work on engines earlier then the 80s (stuck up people annoy me, and they had my blood boiling as if my money wasn't worth the effort to even look at it) but one of the guys was kind enough to take a look on his smoke break and told me they hydrolics are frozen any clue on how i can fix this? it is a 62 Starflight V Evinrude 75HP engine.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problem after problem, Hydrolic tilt.

Are you speaking of a Electrical Hydraulic Tilt system OR simply the two shock absorbers attached to the engine and swivel bracket?

If the hydraulic tilt system, remove it as it wouldn't be worth the money to repair it.... very unlikely you would be able to find parts for it.

Many of those engine freeze up on the tilt rod that holds the transom brackets and swivel bracket together.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

model # of your motor, you need part catalog. it could be that it is just rusted and stuck. i really do not know if the cylinders are available for that motor.

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its the two cylinders on the mount, and ill have nto get the model its rusted over on the plate so working on it slowly.