Water in bilge

oldtiger

Cadet
Just bought a 1996 Sea Ray 175 BR, with 3.0LX 135 HP motor #OF782926Alpha one Gen. II out drive. I have had the boat out twice, and noticed it has been taking on water, yes the plug is in and no holes in the hull. I assume that water must be entering through the out drive. In reading forums here, sounds like bad Gimbal bellows. How is the best way to check this out, or other suggestions.

Lupus

Seaman
Re: Water in bilge

Hi,

I had the same problem once and found that my circulation pump was leaking just a bit. After a few hours on the water it was enough to show up in the bilge.... in fact took me a while to find the problem. Just an idea.

chiefalen

Captain

You will see the pump on the front of the motor has a belt turning it.

But any hole in the tub can leak water.

Bow eye, windows, the rubber strip around the boat swim platform.

When your on the water wherever there is a screw thru the tub look see if it's leaking.

Anything leaking on the motor?

Just for fun

Cadet

Tiger,
Look at the underside of your engine's water pump. There is a small hole under the impeller shaft behind the pulley that leaks if the seals are shot. If you see it is wet or looks rusty, replace it. Also check your hoses for leaks near the thermostat.
Your seawater pump is outside the hull in the outdrive.

jsferra1

Seaman Apprentice

I had water in mine also but it turned out to be the bellows, I looked at them and they looked fine. I changed mine and then put it in the water and now it is dry. When I removed my bellows they looked OK but one was bad since now I have no water in the bilge.

You know it could have been one of the clamps on the bellows now that I think of it, since the did look OK (no holes).

I would put the outdrive up and look real good at them, Look at the shifter bellow there is a clamp at the end that will rust and fall off.

Also if you are on the water you can look back there and see if you see any water running down.

If you have a flush system on your boat you may want to check and see if it is Leaking.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

In reading forums here, sounds like bad Gimbal bellows. How is the best way to check this out, or other suggestions.

Any of the places mentioned in the above replies are possible sources of water. The easiest and, really only, way to check the drive bellows is to pull the drive and look inside the bellows. Any water? Bellows need replacing. That simple.

oldtiger

Cadet

Thanks for the help. If I get out this weekend, I will let you know.