classic 50 prob's

duckhunter55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a 1986 Merc. classic 50. Motor runs great at home on muffs, will rev up as high as u want. But once at river will take off and get up to 3000 RPM then stop and go down to 1500 RPM even at full throttle. WIll not go over 5 mph. Have had carbs cleaned and switch box replaced, mechanics recomendation. Now he says its either the trigger or stator. Dont want to spend too much more money unless i know for sure whats wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mthieme

Captain
Re: classic 50 prob's

Fuel pump and/or float would be the things I would check.

socalbass

Recruit
Re: classic 50 prob's

i have a classic 50 on my 87 bass tracker and it was a pain, when you don't know nothing about boat motors. i couldn't get mine to start the shop i took it to said carbs need rebuilt. i ok'ed it at $200 a carb then they come at me with my trigger, stator, coils, and switch-box was bad, and the bill got really big. ended up taking it home joining this forum and was walked through all the tests to find out what was really bad and was walked through in fixing it and also link and sink while i was at it. the forum saved me alot of money. that was back in 06 under a different screen name.
by the way the member who took his one Saturday to sit on here and going back and forth in emails telling me how to do it was member JUSTINTIME
and CLAMS was the guy who showed me how to link and sync, i think that's what you call it.

i guess what i am trying to say is all you guys are great people and I'm sure they will help you at like they did with me .