1955 Evinrude Magneto Wire

kbertsch

Cadet
I have a 1955 Evinrude Big Twin 25. We are in the last stages of a total rebuild and have a question on the Magneto. There are 3 wires comming from the Magneto. Two spark plug wires and the third looks like some kind of ground but we do not know where it goes. Can someone please tell me what bolt off the block it goes on to. Thanks.

Attachments

• img029.jpg
    img029.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • img031.jpg
    img031.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0

freddyray21

Commander
Re: 1955 Evinrude Magneto Wire

there should be two of the black wires. Each hooks to the points. The other end of each goes to your kill switch. Ground the points together and it kills the motor. If you only have one it will go to the vacuum cutoff switch.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Here is a pic of an ignition system I just did recently. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• ignition photo.jpg
    ignition photo.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1955 only has one small wire. It goes to the vacuum cut-out switch. They had no kill switch in 1955.

CATransplant

Admiral

1955 only has one small wire. It goes to the vacuum cut-out switch. They had no kill switch in 1955.

That's right. When you're rebuilding the magneto, it's a good time to add the second wire, so you can add a kill switch. Choking the engine works, but a kill switch, plus, perhaps, a safety kill lanyard is a great idea, even for older outboards.

freddyray21

Commander

That's right. When you're rebuilding the magneto, it's a good time to add the second wire, so you can add a kill switch. Choking the engine works, but a kill switch, plus, perhaps, a safety kill lanyard is a great idea, even for older outboards.

I guess I should have clarified my statement as CATransplant got it more succintly. That is what I meant is that I would add a second and a kill switch.