Is it ok to leave my O/B on its side?

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Will it hurt any to leave it on its side all winter in a barn?
1006081104.jpg

like this but in a barn?
Thanks for any info!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is it ok to leave my O/B on its side?

I wouldn't. I would hang it on a saw horse, upright.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was hoping for the easy out.. How much does this thing weigh? Last time it was moved was 7 years ago and someone helped me put it on the boat but i remember it being pretty heavy. Im using a chain chain fall thats in the garage ceiling to lift it. Its a 71 johnson 40 hp.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I was hoping for the easy out.. How much does this thing weigh? Last time it was moved was 7 years ago and someone helped me put it on the boat but i remember it being pretty heavy. Im using a chain chain fall thats in the garage ceiling to lift it. Its a 71 johnson 40 hp.

My guess is between 170-190lbs for a motor of that size.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

150lbs stand it up.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can lean it in the corner of the shed? Will it hurt the lower unit? The shed floor is wood and I can put a couple old rugs under it. Im planning on using the saw horses to flip the hull and when the deck is off.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Won't hurt a thing to stand it up on its skeg. Just make sure it's stable and isn't going to tip over. As noted above, it is still preferable to knock together a proper rack to set it on. If the shed walls are studded, you can even just bolt a stub of 2x6 out from one of the wall studs and clamp it to that. Use bolts - nails or drywall screws won't do...
- Scott

CATransplant

Admiral

I just put my boat out of commission for the year. October's too windy, and the first freeze is just around the corner.

I have one of those old concrete double laundry sinks in my basement. It's perfect for hanging the 6hp Johnson on. The electric troller, too. Out of the way and right there for me to work on over the winter.

A guy's gotta take special measures up here in the frozen north. :D

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put it in the blue bucket i tank test it in and put it in the corner of the shed standing upright. Should I do anything else to it?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I would drain the gearcase oil. Make sure you refill it, too! If you can still run it in the barrel, I would run some fogging oil through it, along with some gas treated with Sta-Bil so that any fuel in the carb is also treated.
- Scott

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im going to short shaft it sometime this winter so I can do the gear oil then. I can't really start it anymore should I put some 2 stroke oil in the plug holes? The transom was bad and rotting in spots.

mthieme

Captain

You can set it so the front of the motor is facing up.
I know that this is a factory blessed position for Mercs.

Strange though, they ship laying on their sides new in the box.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If there is any chance of water in the gearcase you shoulod change it.You could just remove the drain plug and see if water comes out if it looks good just put the plug back in.

freddyray21

Commander

put it on a stand if at all possible. Some of the old timers say don't let them stand on the skeg over time it will warp it. Don't know if it's true, but I don't take the chance.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Building a wooden engine stand is pretty easy. Depending on your age/physical condition, you can probably put the motor on it by yourself. If not, its an easy task with two people.

BTW, great motor. For a minute, I thought it was a 33hp with decals off of another motor. I've never had a reason to research the 1971 model and didn't realize that the round "tub" cowled Johnsons had been upgraded to 40hp. I did know that there are later 40hp models of the non-superquiet version, but the only ones I have seen have the cowls that are rectangular in shape. LOL, you now have me thinking of what things I could do to upgrade a pair of 33hp Johnsons that I have!

PS: Bummer! I just went surfing at www.shop.evinrude.com. While the carb, needle valves, reeds, reed plate, etc. are identical between the motors, other parts are not. The 40hp has a different crankcase, bypass covers (at least on the G model), pistons, head and exhaust housing. Looks like OMC did a little tuning on breathing and compression to get the extra 7hp! One thing that did surprise me, however, is that all the parts except for the crankcase, are still available!

reelfishin

Captain

If it were me, I'd build a simple stand. A few dollars and some time spent now will pay off in the long run. If it falls and breaks, then it's going to cost a lot more than few pieces of wood and some screws.

Here's a pic of what I built for mine: http://i33.tinypic.com/28u45yu.jpg.
(all cuts are 36" and 30" with three pair of angle cuts. The stand sits on a 15 degree angle making the motor sit as it would on the boat's transom. It can be built narrower for smaller motors. I'd probably go 22 to 24" wide for a 40 hp and you could make it from all 2x4's. I use 2.5" #10 coated deck screws to hold it together, I had two through bolts to the top cross board for stands holding larger motors). I also add bolt on 4" casters to mine. The on in the pic was built to hold a V4 Evinrude 140 HP. The top boards span 14.5" from top to bottom. I have this style stand holding V6 motors and have run them on the stand as well. I'd say you could get by with all 2x4's with all twin cylinders and even triple cylinder motors without tilt or trim.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, just build a stand. If you're going to work on it this winter, you'll need one. You know, all it takes to build the simplest, quickest stand is a set of saw horse brackets and some 2X lumber - no big deal.

jasper60103

Commander

I just put my boat out of commission for the year. October's too windy, and the first freeze is just around the corner.

I have one of those old concrete double laundry sinks in my basement. It's perfect for hanging the 6hp Johnson on. The electric troller, too. Out of the way and right there for me to work on over the winter.

A guy's gotta take special measures up here in the frozen north. :D

CAT,
you got me thinking, maybe I should lug my Johnson to the basement? I have it in the garage now.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

CAT,
you got me thinking, maybe I should lug my Johnson to the basement? I have it in the garage now.

You should just put it where it's most convenient. Temperature, one way or the other, isn't a factor. I store mine outside with engine covers over the cowlings.