1988 Evinrude 90 vro - Is VRO problematic?

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
1988 Evinrude 90 vro - Is the VRO system problematic?

I am buying a 88 Fisher boat today with an 1988 Evinrude 90 vro. Low hours. How do the VRO systems hold up? I have had other 2 stroke vehicles with oil injectors and my instinct is always to eliminate them. It's a trust thing.

Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Evinrude 90 vro - Is VRO problematic?

(VRO Changeover Judgement Call)
(J. Reeves)

The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few times. In my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that they were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is operating as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.

Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that overpriced plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the VRO decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a big problem which really brings their fears into view.

The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest feeling of being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route they feel more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make on their own.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

As far as being problematic, I can't give a complete answer, but I can say that the VRO on my fathers 60 has been fine with no problems. VRO has had a bad reputation. That is a fact, but whether or not the reputation is deserved I can't say.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i believe you have a VRO 2 fuel/oil pump, they have been update to the better OMS pump.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

No problems whatsoever on my 2000 Johnny 90 HP with the VRO. Much easier to use than mixing.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Joe hit the nail on the head exactly. If you feel more comfortable mixing, then go for it. Personally, I'll never premix again.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my '88 110 VRO with low hours, the alarm would cut on and off thru out the day while trolling. This made me nervous not to mentioned the alarm being annoying. I disconnected the alarm wires, removed and plugged the oil line. I bought a plastic measuring cup, filled the gas tank and mix oil with appropriate amount then trolled all day the other day without a problem. I kept an eye on the temp which stayed right in the zone. I'm now a happy camper :p.

Stevewr54

Cadet

I was pulling a child on a tube with my '86 40hp VRO. The engine started to pull
down and stalled. The starter would barely crank it over so I suspected no oil.
I dumped oil in the tank and let the motor cool. I had to prime it heavily but it
started to spin and started. I ran the motor for 3 days this way before the "no oil" alarm sounded. FWIW Steve

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for.

Another question. How do i know if the alarm is working properly?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jason, to be sure your vro is working properly, mark the oil tank, then using premixed gas, run your motor ( the extra oil will not hurt) then calculate how much oil was used out of the tank, compare to the fuel used. using premixed fuel insures you do not damage the motor if the vro system is malfunctioning.

mrcool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason, to be sure your vro is working properly, mark the oil tank, then using premixed gas, run your motor ( the extra oil will not hurt) then calculate how much oil was used out of the tank, compare to the fuel used. using premixed fuel insures you do not damage the motor if the vro system is malfunctioning.

Really? If I mix the gas to say 100:1, even if the VRO is working just fine, It won't hurt my 1984 Rude 90 at all?? I do worry a bit since I have a 1984 and that is the first year for the VRO and I've heard there were problems with them the first couple of years:eek: Mine has always worked just fine, but I would have no problem mixing a little oil in the gas if it would save something nasty later on.
Also does the 1984 Evinrudes have the low oil/no oil alarm? I've never heard one on this engine, I don't EVER let the oil reservouir get low.