Railing problem,caps for removal ?

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a bow railing on my boat, I hate it and want to remove it(real pain to get in from beaching).

Anyway does anyone know where I could find some caps to cover the mounting points ?It has this style of mounting http://www.iboats.com/Attwood_Stain...23256093--**********.383281512--view_id.38320

I realize it would only be 3 holes needing pluged but a same size dia low profile cap would be nice,maby have a machine shop machine some alloy ones or something. I have searched but have found nothing.

Any help appreciated..

JC

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Railing problem,caps for removal ?

Anybody ever remove any rails ?

zach103

Commander

hmmmmm what color is the cap.. mines gray i had some small holes that i taped up underneath then put the gray marine tex on it.. that might work or you can glass it .. i think the plugs would look a little funky . do you have any pics.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hardware stores have those rubber or vinyl caps that are used for lawn furniture ( they are available in white and a few colors) . You could slip those over the part of the mount that sticks up ? Of course the other option is to use some marine tex or color matched gell coat to fill the screw holes after you remove the mounting flanges.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have not seen any commercially made but they would be simple for any machine shop to make. You could also get a sheet of aluminum and a hole saw in a drill press. Take out the center drill bit and clamp down the alunimum sheet. Cut out as many circles as you need and then drill and counter sink the screw holes. Polish up the aluminum and you have caps.

I know that a lot of people have simply cut out the front sections of their railing leaving a small stub and the capped the stub at the risers. This would leave the side railings and the railing caps are readily available. People usually do this to get a trolling motor to work with a railing.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cutting out the center section is a great idea, if not no one can ride on the bow.

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

cutting out the center section is a great idea, if not no one can ride on the bow.

Huh ?

I just want to remove it as we beach alot and it is a pain to get the misses in. I want to remove all the railings, mounts and all. I will check the hardware stores and see about some caps.

Older pics but you can see the railings,.......

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Huh ?

I just want to remove it as we beach alot and it is a pain to get the misses in. I want to remove all the railings, mounts and all. I will check the hardware stores and see about some caps.

Older pics but you can see the railings,.......

You can remove them all if you want but I would consider just cutting out the section in front of the first set of risers. If you leave about a 1/2 in of tubing you can cap the tubing there. Caps are available with set screws to hold them in place. You will still have the side railing for tying fenders to and to help grab the boat when docking. You will also have the safety of the rail for anyone who is riding in the bow. When you beach the boat you can exit at the front where the railing was removed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a really nice railing and I think you'd miss it if it was completely gone. I like how far back it goes. I think it would still look nice (if not even nicer actually) if you cut out and capped that center section. That's what I'd do.

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying that the rails make the boat but they're a big part of how nice it looks. I'd think twice...

zach103

Commander

you can always lower the rail.. mines lower than that..

P1050832.jpg

the highest it is in the bow is 3in. i say go with that. i grab that railing ALOT. my girlfriend usually holds on to it when shes sittting up there. and when we dock i grab that

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good ideas, thats why I just wanted to plug them, instead of of filling them in. So I could reinstall if I hated it, just didnt want to cut it yet(if I hated it I would be SOL). Thanks for the tips.