mounting height

cleve

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a semi-v bottom alum. boat with a 20" transom, but with the vee i think it's more like 21". i know the cavitation plate is supossed to be below the boat bottom but how much height could i get away with. i steer in the front of the boat and it is fairly heavy engine that i'm mounting. i've seen boats with outboards mounted so high that the plate is above the bottom (not a tunnel). wouldn't this cause the prop to "suck air" at full plane?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: mounting height

The optimum mounting height depends on the boat and engine. In many cases, the ideal height does have the AV plate above the bottom of the stern.

With the information you've given, it's impossible to guess. If you can tell us what boat and what outboard, some of the propping experts here can give you more information. I'm not one of them.

cleve

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boat is a gruumman 16' with one seat in front and one in rear(stick steering). it has a 48" floor bottom, not sure about the beam width. not sure about weight either. most times there will two people with gas and 2 batteries(stern).outboard is 2 stroke 60(228lbs.) with a 19 pitch prop. i feel like i am going to have to experiment a little, just wanted to get all the info i could without having to raise and lower the engine more than i have to.

CATransplant

Admiral

So...this is basically one of those v-nosed jon boats? What's its maximum horsepower rating?